Snakebite punctures becoming a pain :-(

20mm tyres are so 1980s! The only tyres I run less than 25mm are for racing - if I can fit them, I'll run 28mm.

....if all methods of fitting a repaired tube fail and it still happens then sometimes just changing the rim tape does the required job especially if it's not central on the rim, even if it looks ok just take it off and turn it

Excel":2rxk4ere said:
....if all methods of fitting a repaired tube fail and it still happens then sometimes just changing the rim tape does the required job especially if it's not central on the rim, even if it looks ok just take it off and turn it

Thanks, will make sure he does that next time ! :)

Get some proper rim tape, fabric is "best" but can be a little more expensive. Some of the newer flexible plastic ones are quite good. The cheap stiff ones (like a rolled out yoghurt pot) are cack.
Check he is actually pumping them up as hard as he thinks he is. Most track pump pressure gauges are between vague and random. Most accurate i've ever measured was about 5psi out (80 quid track pump tho!). Have seen some that are nearly 30psi out.

At that sort of weight, 20s are far far far too small to grip well/consistently on anything other than bone dry, smooth, clean tarmac. And you'd have to pump them up incredibly hard to use them on anything else, or you'll get snakebites. I used to TT on 18s, when i weighed 9 stone, they were bloody horrible for anything else. (General riding then was on 22 or 23s)

At about 12 stone now, 25s are used for general riding at about 90 psi and 23s at 100 for high days and holidays. (and training camps in the sun, on good roads!)

The country roads we ride on are anything but sympathetic to the tyres, :(

The next time he has a puncture, I am going to 'drop' him and keep riding into the distance, one day he will learn :D

when you recommend wider tyres and say 25,s or 28,s do you mean real size or printed size? my gatorskins say 23c but measuring them at 110 psi with a micro they come out at nearly 26mm wide so if this is true across the range and you say run 25,s for club runs what exactly do you mean?
fyi. I have run these tyres for 3 years now and have yet to have a puncture (cue endless punctures on their way) :D

Actual size of an installed tyre is dependent on the rim as well. So saying "it measures 25mm even tho its a 23mm" is not particularly useful unless you know the internal width of the rim.
On the flip side, going up 2mm in size, in the same make and model *should* give you a similar increase in installed size. Even different makes and models of tyre tend be fairly similar in size given the same printed size.

It's not like MTB tyres where you can sometimes find 2.2" that are wider than another manufacturers 2.4"

TBH, if it actually measures up that big, and it works for you, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

yes, its that bit I was asking about, do you mean installed actual size? they work for me but I'm always keen to learn more and make things easier.

Back