Shipping from Canada to UK - advice / recommendations

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
So I have located something special from Canada that needs to head over the pond. The initial quote is mental. What firms, recommendations or experience does anyone have of shipping from there to here? It's a full bike, very light (20lbs) and would be packed in the usual bike sized box.

Is it "cheaper" to get it shipped to the US then the UK?

Any advice is appreciated!

A full size bike box is going to cost a fortune from anywhere. It will be cheaper to send the wheels in a seperate box, if they're special. If they're not, get the seller to donate them to a cycling project/the kid down the street/whatever, and just send the frame and components.
The value of the sent items will be lower, postage costs will be lower and duty will be levied at a lower rate than for complete bikes.
It does cost a small fortune to send stuff from Canada. I was quoted $350 for an immaculate Brodie (it still hurts!) sent by steam packet. Airmail was $600 ish!
From the US it will be $75 ish per frame size box, so if it can be smuggled across the border and sent from there there are big savings to be made.

I'm assuming the quote was from Canada Post? Get a quote from FedEx. It's usually cheaper. 2 boxes may work out cheaper in the end as well.

You have to remember there's only 34 million of us in a country larger than (old) Russia. Economics of scale dictates prices are going to be higher per capita.

Yep....it came to $1k :LOL: :facepalm:

I'm in NY all this week and am thinking about how I can duck out of the 5 day planning session and head over the border then smuggle it in my luggage back on Saturday :LOL:

Back