Wheel Problems....

stu

jammy git
Hello everyone,

While tidying the shed I found the original wheels for my Alpinestars (DX Hubs on Mavic M232 rims), in their wisdom they built the wheels with standard spokes which are discoloured and rusty in places, the hubs seem pretty good and the rims seem to have plenty of life left in them....do I:-

Buy some replacement spokes, lace them up and then get the LBS to tighten and true them up

or

Strip the wheels down and get the LBS to replace the rims with newer items and new spokes at the same time

Cheers
Stu

If you're a serious biker, one of the best and most rewarding things you can do is teach yourself to build wheels. You'll save a mint on LBS fees.

Also, there is a lot of kudos (and free beer) in telling a mate thats broken a spoke or two that you can fix it for them :)

Replacing a spoke , or truing a wheel is fairly easy compared to building the whole wheels .

Until a couple of years ago I'd never built a wheel up from scratch. I've built a few wheels up since then. I'm no whizzo but a couple of hours and it's done. Try it, it's very rewarding.
:)

Cheers guys!

I'm gonna give it a go.....I'll let you know how I get on :D

I'm in a good mood this afternoon, fingers crossed I may be able to get my grubby mitts on an really old skool Middleburn crankset for the Fuquay.....anodised purple arms no less :D Oh, and Bennz has a lot to answer for! after seeing his photos the Fuquay is being powder coated Walkers Salt & Vinegar crisp packet green, a perfect compliment to the anodised purple bits.....I get her back on Thursday....

Stu

If you can't afford a jig, put a true and tyreless wheel in yer fork and tighten the brakes until almost touching. Undo and do up the brakes a couple of times to make sure they center-up well on the true rim then undo and remove wheel....there's your ( cheapo ) jig.

Latest posts

Back