Fork Steerer - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th......100th opinions please

Re: Fork Steerer - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th......100th opinions pl

I was going to say until you heard the reply from giant that while tubes look nice on the outside, its the bits you cant see that get overlooked in regards of a finishing process so it doesn't surprise me that it left the factory like that, look inside many frame tubes and you will see less than an excellent finish. I would have no problem with those forks other that they are carbon and old, but I do get your original suspicions.

Benjy - Same diameter all the way up - i've seen a picture of how in the 'olden' days they made the early carbon forks - the crown is set up in a jig and married upto the composite with a few inches of crown showing - the steerer is then added by whatever method chosen (welded, swaged & glued). Advances then made so that the crown & steerer was one piece and I think the whole job is carbon these days? Not sure.

Chute - you've hit the nail on the head - carbon & old! Opens up a whole other question of carbon in general and what it's effective lifespan is?

Well I had a 9.8 trek and it was flexy to say the least. Im no carbon expert but trek offer a lifetime warranty but only to the original owner presumably because they assume that the original owner wont keep the bike for ever and the few that might would be an acceptable loss if a claim was brought. That said carbon forks are as cheap as chips these days so just buy another set

Chute55uk":1xcj3pro said:
That said carbon forks are as cheap as chips these days so just buy another set

But isn't it a 1" jobbie? If so, carbon 1" forks not all that readily available - unless I'm (as usual!) mistaken.

I had an early TCR - but never had the forks out. Good job I reckon. If I'd seen that I'd have been a bit concerned even though I knew it came direct from Giant.

yes 1" Ned which is why (although i've bought 2nd gen Giant TCR forks 1-1/4 1/:cool: I can't be bothered with the whole headset / A head stem lark - I tried it and it looks naff on this bike. I could soon change my tune as Midlife termed it - face & tarmac!

This is a confidence issue, as you say I know that this is how they left the factory but it's going to be eating away at me when i'm riding - I've thrown some Spinergy wheels on this and they in themselves are suspect according to some quarters so if something does go it will be one hell of a sight!! :shock:

If it helps, I had a 26" AL unicrown fork that had the steerer bonded too - uber light 650 gram jobbies from the far East.

Had the initial reactions like yourself - a WTF is this crap gummed up with Bostik moment. To be honest always felt a bit uneasy with them, but logic and engineering said that they are sound. Remember the days when the crown and stanchions were held on by two farting steel bolts threaded into AL? Can't imagine Giant being a USA company with law suits would do a duff engineering job, albeit the design looks facilitated for production rather than functionality.

Do you have a picture of the whole fork?
I've just come across a fork with a similar steerer.

Woz - that was indeed my exact reaction - possibly a few additional profanities in there. I know what you mean and this was probably the first in a number of construction methods they tried. Bizarrely, I found this.... http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2001/CPS ... cle-Forks/ .... just my luck - those are the 2nd generation forks that I bought as a replacement for mine! Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire! My luck is out on this bike I reckon.

Rampage - bike's built but would like to see what you've found. If I have to I'll take the forks out and post a pic if necessary....

cheers

....errr. Sorry couldn't help myself to have a little giggle especially in view about law suits and Giant UKs stance.

Rationally, are those recalled forks exactly the same as yours, because it's not clear if it applies to all the
forks produced or just certain batches?

On the bright side the recall notice said only two reports, one minor injury, and doesn't specify the failure mode at
all - a drop-out could have fractured for all we know or the carbon leg imploded while bunny hopping up a kerb.

:facepalm:

FFS, what am I saying because it's all a bit academic......see my signature, ride a proper Italian steel bike made with
Bunsen burners and rods of metal, sleep tight and let the throttle out down the 1:4s because it will niggle you forever.

FINNEY1973":fb4vv1mo said:
Rampage - bike's built but would like to see what you've found. If I have to I'll take the forks out and post a pic if necessary....

cheers

Sorry I didn't read the thread properly! I didn't realise yours were carbon.
Mine are aluminium Orange forks with a bonded steel steerer.
I've started a new thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=269799&p=2016274#p2016274

Back