Oldies and poverty panic and future security

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I was watching Heir Hunters today, well I was in between cleaning duties at home :oops: but their was this old bloke that had been a war veteran who was seriously stingy and it reminded me of my gran (deceased) who would not spend money and had a fully stocked pantry of tinned food, hundreds and hundreds of cans just in case, not to eat just to keep in case needed. and when she died she had thousands of pounds stashed in her bag and house because she was afraid of spending it and putting it in a bank, even though from both grandparent's work they had very good pensions.

Did your grand parents do this and do you? I'm crap at this preparing for future problems :oops:

Alison

When I lived in Norwich, back around '82, an old boy who lived in the next road to mine died; he lived in abject poverty but when the house was cleared they found coins and notes stuffed in books, tins, boxes, and yes, under the mattress...

...to the tune of £350,000!! :shock:

My neighbour when I was a kid lived like a slob, me and my sister and brother when I was 5 helped hem clean up, he had owned our house, sold it to my mum for 4000 in 1972, the house across the road and the bungalow, there were three houses far from nowhere and he owned them all, funny in '73 houses went up dramatically and ours was worth £8000 in a year, he tried to reclaim it but failed :roll: but he lived like a tramp but was soo well off. He used to fashion wood into lady bits and would ask me, a 10 year old, to tell me how realistic they were, the perve didn't stop there but I was the only kid available and he was too far from any other. but there are people out there that live in abject poverty that are still seriously well off because of wartime paranoia.

Alison

Retro Cat":2fmb1c69 said:
I'm getting more stingy as I get older - get palpitations over spending £3.95 at Costa

You actually spend that, you're nowhere near stingy yet!!!

I keep an emergency chest full of long dated package stuff [Flapjacks, Kendal Mint Cake, UHT milk, red wine, Brain's S.A, catering sized pack of chewing gum] because the Environment agency says we should [I live in a flood risk area]. I never understood why people would hoard tinned food, what will you heat it with after the meteorite/ nucleur holocaust? I haven't had any relatives who hoarded anything worse than tiny Little Chef type sugar packets nor did they hide their money under the bed. I never used to understand why some pensioners didn't trust the banking system but now I go to work everyday past a deserted office block that used to be the Bradford and Bingley HQ...

Retro Cat":3i5hvfgw said:
I'm getting more stingy as I get older - get palpitations over spending £3.95 at Costa
oof! Instead of shelling out for some tasteless foreign muck, you could have a cup or two of warming broth if you had one of these;
images

Retro Cat":2bl4lg44 said:
oof! Instead of shelling out for some tasteless foreign muck, you could have a cup or two of warming broth if you had one of these;
images

I have a wee bit more money now im older. I am attempting to have it all spent by the time i pop me clogs :D
The world is my oyster.

Back