Trunnion rear shock alternatives/mods

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I know I'm I it for the long haul as I'm looking for a nice rear shock to adorn my sts (I guess there is nothing wrong with the old one, but I'm looking to upgrade).

Whilst surfing the net in hope of finding something specific, yet affordable, a couple of things have got me thinking:

1) there are various could shocks out there that could be considered an upgrade to the rock shox deluxe range, so I've been wondering whether buying one of these would be an option? I know that they aren't trunnion specific, but they do all seem to have a threaded body section, so would there be any reason not to get something like this and fit the trunnion above the spring preloader? I'm assuming that the rock shox trunnion will probably not be the same thread or diameter as something from another brand (could be wrong), so this aside, would it be a bad idea?

I know there would be some unused shock eyes, but these could be blanked off (or something more permanent).

If the trunnion was not the same diameter, how would one go about getting one made?

2) As above, but not coil shock specific. It should be possible to have a trunnion style adapter made that uses the upper shock eyes, trunnion mount and that clamps the shock body right? Anyone done this? Can it look elegant or just like an afterthought? Could something be fabricated to work on different shock bodies or would it need to be shock specific?

3) kind of the above, but coil shock specific again. A custom trunnion mount for a threaded body coil shock with the 'piggy back' chamber. Is this possible? The challenge would be to allow the trunnion collar to be screwed around past the piggy back chamber. Could something be fabricated with off-set mounts to get past the piggy back chamber, yet still reach the travel chips/rear shock mount, or am I dreaming?

That's about it, as my train ride home is nearly over. I'd welcome thoughts, ideas, suggestions or just confirmation that I'm barking up the wrong dog and I should be happy I have a coupe deluxe that works and be done with it.

Oh, anyone serviced a super deluxe shock before. I may be wanting to give that a go at some stage, once I've figured how to get the damned thing off a donor frame.

don't touch the super deluxe unless it's already scrap, no spares available. I think you can forget about using a piggy back, too many problems. The threaded body of a normal shock will take the load so it's perfectly viable. Proflex noleen shocks have a lot of threaded body.

Speak to Mojo suspension like I did way back in early 2000's

I had a Fox Vanilla RL from them, a country mile better than the original Rock Shox

:)

Thanks for the replies, useful info indeed. Does anyone know how a shock from a Jekyll (trunnion style) can be made to fit?

Ian,

I think this is much the same situation that I came to with my proflex.

New Noleen shock = cost of custom adaptor + alternative shock.

Thus, $200, if you get stung for import tax (likely) I think this will cost you £200 to your door. It gets you a shock that will fit, is tuned for the bike, and isn't 15 years old.

http://www.risseracing.com/gt.shtml

Cheers. Since I posted this thread I've managed to get a Jekyll shock, a fox float RL with pro pedal, so now looking to find out how to make this fit (I've another thread for this), but still open to ideas here.

Back