1994 kona lava dome

Brad187

Retro Newbie
Wanting to put a pair of fork suspensions on my 1994 Kona Lava Dome. Not sure if I would need a threaded or non-threaded? Also I took the P2 fork off and measured it to be around 6" of steer tube, so how long would the fork suspension need to be? Any answers would be greatly appreciated! I've been seeing a lot of rock shox Judy popping up on eBay, and some Manitou ones also. Plus a local shop has piles of vintages shocks they might sell me.

Welcome mate.

One bonus you have is you frame has an 1 1/8 headtube. So if you wanna keep your current stem/ headset then get a sus fork with exactly the same spec as far as the steerer goes.

Or change to a threadless fork by swapping our the headset and stem. You would obviously need a longer steerer for the stem to now clamp on to. His will give you a much better set of options as far as sourcing a set.

As far as travel. I would suggest 63mm/80mm replacement for your p2. Although some run 100mm with shorter stems.

If you know your frame size someone might be able to help further. I only play with 20" inch frames so can only help with those.

Thanks for the input, I guess my biggest question is how much longer would the steer tube need to be if I was going to replace the the stem? Does that depend on the stem I would buy?
Oh also I believe the frame is a 19" but cannot remember how to measure it.
Thanks
Brad

Measure for a kona of that year is centre of cranks to very top.

steerer needs to be....headtube length(guessing 13cm on yours?)+ headset stack(generally around 4cm)+ stem height (yes it would dpened on what your planning) + do you want any spacers to raise the stem at all.

Back