Vintage Shopper Restoration

unkleGsif

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I've been asked by the mother in law if I would have a look at her old BSA shopper, which apparently has been sat outside in all weather for at least ten years... I am in no doubt that tires, basket, saddle etc are all goosed, but hopefully not too much of the structure of the bike is still intact.

M-in-L remembers being taken to school on it by her mum, so is its at least 55years old, so there are good reasons to try and save it, however I have very little knowledge of these old, rod pull braked bikes

Has anyone done similar, or knows of an online resource for knowledge and or parts that I might need?

Cheers in advance
G

I would suggest trying to keep it as original as possible, so carefully strip, clean, repaint and reassemble each part with a fresh coat of grease.

Shopper conjures up images of a folding frame & 20" wheels, then you mentioned rod brakes & I realised we might have our wires crossed.

Pics?

Not of the actual bike, as its in Peterborough and I'm in Manchester, but it is pretty much this one

bsa_shopper.jpg

The basket is on a frame mounted to the head/down tube, rather than the forks and bars, so it remains pointing forwards when the bars turn

G

I've done a few ,amongst my charity bikes ,I've got a rough 1958 elswick to do rod brake

its basically lots of elbow grease and polishing

if you want to date yours the date is stamped on the sturmey archer hubs or if its got dyno wheels it will be on them

Back