Fads

Ooh I've got some SPD sandals!!!

And as for the hand guard thingys - I saw a company punting some vac-formed 'hand guards' for silly money at a bike show a few years ago, something about keeping hands warm in the winter or something.

I'll throw in I-beam saddle/seatpost interface: bobbins.

FMJ":26nfd381 said:
ABS.

cnc_504.jpg

OH MY GOD that is so cool... how the hell does that work? (It probably doesn't, in truth).

U-brakes, rollercams and Pedersens.

Faddish and not very good, but considered cool by many.....

Chopper1192":2v3x84zs said:
Bikes that actually fit the rider - a brief fad that has long since fallen by the wayside.

I'll never understand how to have a bike measured to fit me. I have always just applied the 'Does It Feel Right' approach. I just ride them and if I'm happy I keep it.

It's safe to say that if you've got several leagues of seat sticking out, as is the current trend in retro circles, then your bike is too small.

I beam still going strong, though it's pricy.

Chopper1192":1f2rz8uq said:
It's safe to say that if you've got several leagues of seat sticking out, as is the current trend in retro circles, then your bike is too small....

mmm, fairly certain this was the case 20odd years ago, so hardly a "current trend"... and all the more likely given compact frame designs by the likes of Kona, Brodie et al

G

Bitd, at first the trend in the 80's was for frames on the large side as folk often didn't appreciate the sizing differences betwixt road bikes and mtb s. This didn't last long and people generally were quick the revert to an appropriate frame size.

While there will always be the odd exception, the trend for scaffold pole lengths of seat tube exposed is a modern retro phenomenon. The business with 'compact frames' is a chimaera, else bars would also be raised and extended a commensurate amount, but almost always aren't. Look through old photos and mags and the altitude-sickness-inducing levels of exposed seat post we see today are largely absent. Always chuckle when a bike set up thus cracks at the rear of the top tube and the clueless rider scratches their head in surprise, like the Giant Anthem currently on eBay.

Back