I need gears

Note to self: apparently that thing you thought you heard 'ping' past your ear at about a million miles an hour the other day isn't a figment of your imagination, but a retailing clip... Must pop to LBS and buy another later today...

Yes, the full power changes were part of a 'testing' procedure, carried out to prove a point I cant remember to other half. Not recommended, but the roller clutches on the planetary gears are very hard wearing. The later hubs also have protection built in to prevent you applying to much torque, I don't know what it's set to, but I've never felt it do anything...

I would stick an alfine hub in there. I put one in my p7 4 yrs ago, have never looked back, has the nice look of single speed but has the added benefit of more gears ,)

Next you'll be after one of these nice shifters, rather than one of the plasticky ones ;)
(Sram X9 with Zerode index plate)

Attachments

• alfine_shifter.jpg
    alfine_shifter.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Zerode shifter.jpg
    Zerode shifter.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 372
I was going to ask if other shifters work with alfine 8/11 as I really do not want the standard shifter (because I am a tart)

The Zerode one is for the 8 speed, I don't know of any alternatives for the 11 speed.
Other than that it's "rapid rise" shifting direction (low normal) by all accounts the 8 speed is proving to be better (ie more reliable) than the 11 speed anyway. Besides, you soon get used to the shifting direction.

I like - the lack of stuff to collect undergrowth, the tidy set-up, the ability to change when trackstanding, the silence.

The only thing I don't like is the weight but you can't have everything.

The weight isn't "that" bad. You might notice it more since a singlespeed hub isn't exactly heavy, but its only about half a kilo up on a normal 9 speed derailleur set up that you would otherwise buy. Not ideal, but more than manageable. The weight is concentrated right at the hub of the wheel too, so the effect on the rotating wheel is nothing like as bad as a heavier rim, tube and tyre would be.

In terms of handling, I really can't tell the difference. Her bike is a smaller frame than mine anyway, so it always feels far more "chuckable" than my larger bikes, but changing from the derailleur system to the IGH didn't make any noticeable change as far as I could tell.

Well, like I said before, I mainly notice the weight whenever I have to pick the bike up to chuck it over a fence or gate. There's a little bit of noticeable rear bias when dropping off, say, a 2ft step - I never spend much time higher in the air than that so I can't really say how it would affect anything bigger. Endo turns need a bit more weight shift to get the back up but it's no more than the difference between one bike and another in my experience.
The weight, as you say, is low down (which is good) and if anything the slight rearwards bias tend to make the whole bike feel very "planted" for want of a better word.
I'm not overly bothered about weight - if I was, I wouldn't use big tyres (On-One Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord) and I'd build wheels with lighter rims than my favourite Sun Ringle EQ27's.
But then I'm no racing whippet anymore, that's for sure.

This is what I have it on - I always describe it as an ideal old man's bike. A pleasure to ride and maintain.
It now has the Zerode shifter but otherwise this is how it is now. I'd like to get a 28 tooth chainring (for more clearance) and go down to 18 on the Alfine.
If anyone has a nice 27.2mm dropper post for sale that would be a good addition too.....

Attachments

• Hummingbird-Alfine-8.jpg
    Hummingbird-Alfine-8.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 324
Okay...thanks all. Andy, is the shifter a stock type or has it been tweaked so to speak. Where can I get one should I find a my price alfine hub

Latest posts

Back