Fads

Square taper dates to the early 30s but was really only widespread in the mainstream for 15 or so years. For an 80 year old standard to peak for so short a time, then sink back to BSO obscurity is pretty faddish, although perhaps a fad favoured by manufacturers rather than riders.

Chopper1192":1c4clubd said:
Square taper dates to the early 30s but was really only widespread in the mainstream for 15 or so years. For an 80 year old standard to peak for so short a time, then sink back to BSO obscurity is pretty faddish, although perhaps a fad favoured by manufacturers rather than riders.

Actually, I was trying to think of a simple way to distinguish 'fads' from swings in component design, and that's probably nailed it. I guess if there's no other choice (or no affordable or practical choice) then it's not really about being fashionable.

And how did I ever forget SPD sandals :LOL: :LOL:

Koupe":2q1i9crp said:
Square tapers, elastomers and bar-ends are obsolete, which isn't quite the same as faddish. They were around for a fair few years and used by virtually everyone, until other ideas took over.

Square taper, bar-ends, quill stems, threaded headsets .... oh and let's not forget cantilever brakes are most certainly not a fad. They are all timeless useful stuff that you can buy brand new today - for good reason.

A fad is more like Brahma bars, 3DV anodizing, or neon / fluorescent paint jobs. Basically, a Klein then go's in the same bucket as a fanny pack. :LOL:

Neon.

greg_koga_ringle_xl.jpg

That's a good one too - what happened to anti-chain suck plates and why did we suddenly stop needing them?

Back