650 forks to 700 - is it possible?

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Evening all - not getting enough use out of my Langdale pursuit - 10 miles or so and the neck ache gets pretty uncomfortable.

Frame was designed to accept a 650c fork - question is: can I swap this over to a 700c fork and if so how do I calculate the fork rake so that the wheelbase is approximately the same length? (will need to buy an appropriate set of forks if this is doable) Also the frame geometry would also be altered - would this mean that the ride (stability, cornering, weight distribution) is all sent out of kilter?

Anyone got any experience or gut feelings if this is worth taking further? Cheers all...

Yup, it's going to slacken the head angle and lengthen the wheelbase, and then raise the BB height. It'll probably be rideable (assuming all the hardware fits your frame) but how nice it'll be to ride I'd hesitate to say.

yep, i'm also very hesitant - my gut feeling is that it will be back heavy and a bit slack feeling through the front. Could always change the bullhorns to Cinelli Tempos as they haven't got any drop on them. Anything to get beyond 10 miles without having to stop and rest my neck!

Best to simply raise the front end with bars / stem without altering the frame geometry...

Shaun

I think Midlifes idea is the way forward. It's not an ideal solution either, but it'll keep you riding and will be less disruptive to the bikes behaviour.

Back