1992 Marin Team Issue all original - keep or dump it.

Obviously you know how to ride and if i can re-learn all the stuff i've long forgotten about how bikes are put together everyone can. I was surprised how many others are in the same situation. This place here will proof to be usefull to the max. It is full of knowledge and people that will really help. When i first visited this site about 3 or 4 years ago i could not imagine what a great place Retrobike really is.
Maybe you want to make this place even greater by sharing some of your memories of your time being a team rider. How did that all happen?

Very glad to hear you've decided to keep it. Even if you don't do anything with it, it deserves to be kept because it's a big part of who you are and it's irreplaceable. You mentioned a box of memories you used to have - well, your bike merits a place in that box just the same as everything else - it was just a bit too big to go in it!
I think your husband will think again if you tell him how much it means to you.
I don't have anything like the history or skill in cycling that you have but I would no more part with my Cannondale than I would part with my grandmother's necklace.
You hold on to it - and get out on it :D

:LOL: It didn't take long. 7 posts and there's talk of a second project. Welcome to Retrobike, this way to bankruptcy.

Thats my old bike!

One of my fav race bikes was my old 92 team issue, had the same manitous as you. Such a great bike, so light on it's feet! Remember you could squeeze the 'ribbed' downtube and see the tube compress!

Keep it... But you know that already.

I have a much better option; dump the old man, keep the bike, marry me! :LOL:

The number of members on here who have built bikes for their other halves that have yet to be ridden...

...and here we have a woman with her own bike she used to actually race BITD asking if she should keep it?? :shock:

Absolute no brainer to my mind :cool:

definitely sell it....its not worth anything. But since Im such a good person I'll generously buy it off you for more than scrap value.

Im joking by the way. Im not a nice person :LOL:

But seriously if I had that bike I would never ever sell it. no matter how bad condition it was I would keep it even as a hack. I would never sell my marin and yours is even more special as it has so much history behind it. As for racing for Marin. My utmost respect for you, that is something I could only dream of (especially seeing as though Im useless at competition)

But no welcome to the madhouse and Im sure you'll soon realise the error of your ways even asking that ;) Old Marins are welcome here anytime.

lol, thanks for the welcomes! It took me a few days to get back to the forum... in the middle of packing up the house for the move. Thanks for all the tips... I'm going to attempt to make it nicer when I get to California. :)

On the racing question... in college I dated a recreational rider. I thought it was admirable to ride 30 miles and decided I was going to do that. I saved (ok, I used a student loan) bought my road bike. Since my daughter was 2 years old... I couldn't train with anyone (they trained after 5 and she was out of day care then) - so I did my training by myself or with the Burley trailer. My first intercollegiate race came along. They "needed" someone in Womens A time trial and put me there... not knowing how I rode or if I was any good (neither did I). I finished second overall. I guess all the training by myself was good for hammering down, lol... I started racing for my town cycling team and started doing really well for my first year racing. I went from Cat 4 to Cat 3 that year, placed at some big races... so.. I didn't ride mountain bikes at first but a friend let me borrow his one day. It was cool... so I bought a purple Kona from the local bike shop. They knew me from racing so he threw me one of his jerseys and asked, when I was off road, to wear it. I'd get shop discount etc etc.... The chromolly heavy monster with rock shocks. My exhusband bought it from me when I upgraded. I'm going to ask if he still has it. I want it back!

I ended up second woman overall in a series in Lake Tahoe (professional finished first). I did uphill, downhill, cross country... this was before everyone started wearing pads and front shocks were new. I got a tee shirt once for "most blood on the course" lol.

After that first year... I submitted my resume to Marin and they took me as expert. Unfortunately while skiing in Colorado the spring before my sponsorship year... I decided I was going to race on skis. Well, I did cartwheels and fractured my fibula... no insurance, I got delivery of my bik e(in CO) headed back to CA with a splint (car was clutch, it was NOT fun)... first ride on that bike was Mount Tamalpais in Marin. I was going up and I heard someone who passed me going down laugh that I had a "cast" on...lol... well... the clinic was wrong... there was soft tissue damage... I was riding my mountain bike and my track bike a lot and one day, kneeling down I heard a ripp and pop. My calf muscle tore. It was not good. I didn't get on my bike until June that year. I stayed expert and the plan was to just get my ass kicked until I didn't. I bonked one race.. Mt Hood Oregon... I was sitting well with the sport class but expert had a second lap. I stopped on the turn and cried knowing I was pretty spent... I kept going... until I couldn't ride in a straight line down a gravel road without falling over. It was only 2 miles at the end of a 35 miles course... and APPARENTLY it was 5:30pm - I had started at 10am. I had been refusing to throw in the towel (until I was immobile) and the corner people had to wait all day for me... I down graded. It was a real bummer.

So, that's my shortened history of how I started riding for Marin back in the day.

Back