How low an you go? Chain ring sizes.

looking at that you can see given the spider why the inner ring cannot get much smaller, smaller rings need smaller spiders, ie lower BCD, I guess this is why the compact triples are 94/58 vs standard 110/74 when the sprockets all got smaller and hence chainrings could become smaller

Think I will just go with a 39 ring first and see how that feels. Didn't have to get off last night but felt like too much pressure on the old knees compared to granny on the Marin. Just bought the road bike and want to be comfortable with it. At present not much quicker than my Marin on slicks but only been out a couple of times.

Thanks to all. I really do appreciate the generousnessness of those with the knowledge to help. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The History Man":221vb0al said:
Don't want to faff around with rear as don't have the tools as yet. So would changing 42 to 39 make an appreciable difference?

As has already been noted changing the 42 to 39 would be noticeably easier, not sure why you would need to change the whole crankset to achieve this? but that 600 set is nice and very much like the Dura-Ace version. I would think that you could snag it for £30 or so since they are common.

Hmmmm. He's offered it for £26 inc. will go with just a ring though as if it ain't broke etc.

Back