innertubes...Grrrrr!

oonaff":1nwizvck said:
Hi i had a valve sticking issue on a new vittoria inner prob a burr or something out of tolerance ..
Hmmm! Now doesn't that sound a familiar story! and jalts my mind back to a clubrun where I punctured
some three months ago and when I put the new tube in the valve was stuck solid and it would not budge
no matter what and a guy borrowed me another tube which 'worked' :?

Ian,

That is 3 bad things - so your luck should now be GOOD!!!! Hopefully.

Richard

I put a brand new tube (Specialized brand I think, from my LBS) in my bike and it was flat the next time I looked. The tube had split along the seam. I don't think brand (in general, not specifically bike bits) is any guarantee of quality these days, hardly anybody makes their own stuff and even the most premium names seem to be capable of using dodgy manufacturers.

On a related note can anybody recommend a decent puncture repair kit? I never had problems with patches lifting BITD, now I just can't get them to stick at all.

There was a big outbreak of valve rip-out disease a few years ago - Specialized were really bad for it. The only tubes that don't seem to be made in the same factory in Thailand are Schwalbe, which tend to be my preference. Vittoria have been OK too.

BobToo":2cgph521 said:
On a related note can anybody recommend a decent puncture repair kit? I never had problems with patches lifting BITD, now I just can't get them to stick at all.
You tried cleaning the entire tube with Thinners ? I think silicone is used in the process in making tubes.

Or clean the tube where the puncture is with Thinners before you apply the patch.

A certain bloke I know, who shall remain nameless( but can be found just a bit further along the sofa from where I'm sat...) had a bit of a puncture moment on Saturday.
We got the road bikes out pre-ride and found he had a puncture in the back tyre. :? Much grumbling as he took it all apart and tried to find the puncture. Checked the inner-tube - hmm, no hole in the inner tube, checked the rim etc :idea: - must be the valve . Does various mechanical-type-bike-faffing and puts it back together....
... to find the puncture still in the back tyre but the front wheel all lovely and clean after he'd removed it, taken the tyre off etc etc :facepalm: Doh.
I had to go inside.. :D :D

the thing with massed production precision engineered stuff is' change over'.s of tooling, altered tiny quirks with machinery some times which is old. even temperature can play a part . before a long run of work that is within tolerance is done and interval checked you may get rejects and unfortunately some of these slip through the net.
some large firms may also use other company's depending on work load and and some of their premises are a bit less
than hi-tech conditions. as an image of a candle lit cow shed appears

ok i will use shwalbe cheer's

Ian Raleigh":1a9homw6 said:
BobToo":1a9homw6 said:
You tried cleaning the entire tube with Thinners ? I think silicone is used in the process in making tubes.

Or clean the tube where the puncture is with Thinners before you apply the patch.

I haven't tried that, although I do use emery paper on the area. I think the problem I have is that the patches are too thick and inflexible so they don't follow the shape of the tube well. The patches do stick to an extent, but you could peel them off without leaving a trace. I've ordered a Rema Tip-Top puncture repair kit so I'll see how I get on with that, and I'll give the thinners a go too.

On the puncture repair kit topic - Tescos do one for about £2 or less and i have heard good reports about it. Tescos do a few bike bits - tubes etc and they are worth checking when you are shopping - you never know what you might come across.

Richard

Back