in car socket adapters....who uses them?

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
find myself getting caught short with phone charge, also, the kid likes to watch DVDs on long journeys - this sometimes clashes with Sat Nav charging issues as they both can use the 12v socket, so i've been looking at a socket adapter like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Socket-C ... 3371bbf9dc

has 2 power sockets for things like DVD player/sat nav charge cables, plus 2 USB sockets for phone charging.

I'm a little sceptical and i wonder if its still possible to use all the sockets simulatneously without causing overload issues...?? these things dont seem to come fused or protected (AFAIK).

anyone use one? any limits or issues?
i know they are cheap, so i could just go and get one and try, but it could turn out to be an expensive mistake if it cocks something up/sets the car on fire.....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The car will have a fuse in its fusebox for the accessory socket, so nothing to worry about. IIRC it can sink a fair bit of current - you used to be able to get mini kettles that plugged in!
So I wouldn't worry, but don't plug in your entire 1960's retro car kettle collection at the same time. :LOL:

On mine, just a diual, at B&Q's cheap 3 for 2 on £1 items, the fuse is inside and runs down the middle.
Mine have 1A rating on them but I can charge phone, nexus 7 (usually 2A charger) and SatNav of them. Two at the same time.
So at the price I got a few for the other sockets in the car.

Mine is just USB though.
0.5A is not a lot for charging modern devices though.

I don't think in 20 years on the road I've ever used the charging socket in the car, we don't have in car DVD, on long journeys my kids have to either play eye spy, spot the yellow car first/mini punch or who gets the most legs from pub names :D

Sorry not much help :oops:

Alison

Usually a 10A fuse for the socket, worst that'll happen is that you pop that. Phone chargers/satnavs are less than 1A. DVD will be a bit more, but you'll struggle to get to 10. Just don't try plugging a massive inverter and a microwave into it ;)

I have a couple of USB chargers in the van that plug into the cigar lighter socket - a single and a 2-way.

The 2-way sources 0.5A per socket and the single is a full amp.

Back