rockshox recon silver tk's

alanf

Senior Retro Guru
picked a pair up off ebay for a lightweight ht bike I'm building for a fun rideabout, the forks have pop lok lock out on them, not to sure how or even if the lock out is working correctly?
on my reba's the lock out locks the forks near solid! you get a little movement but you know their locked! where as on the recon's if I push down on them they lock out briefly then compress slowly, then if you release them they uncompress and if you push down on them again they slowly compress again, there is no where near a noticable lock out as on the reba's!
now is this normal? or should I stick them in for a service and see what they say? suggestions on a post card to.....

no just lock out and rebound adjustment, have hit google and the only suggestion on there was for low oil level, so I drained the oil and measured it and it was only a couple of ml short so I figure it cant be that?

Im not sure on this one. That may just be how the cheaper moco acts? Try heavier oil? Though im not sure if that's allowed but cant see it causing a problem. But then if you think about maybe a lighter oil is the way to go as the moco units 'unlock' via the amount of flex they meet when they hit the oil I believe.
Im currently having trouble with my reba lockout, it has a leaky bit on the floodgate so reseated seal and put in correct oil but not having none of it. Probably need a new seal kit.

found out the problem! the damper internals need replacing! its a common issue apparently
the shaft that runs through the center of the damper bends and twists if the forks take a heavy hit while locked out, this inturn shortens the overal length of the shaft allowing the rotating valve at the bottom of the adjuster to lift and allow the oil to pass through the valve
at £90 for the bits needed to fix them :shock: I'm going to take a blow lamp to the shaft and see if I can straighten it or pack out the shaft with a couple of washers so that the lock out valve is pushed tight against the flow ports and not leak under load
the cost of fixing them is near on what I paid for them so I'm not going throw cash at them apart from for a set of seals that are showing signs of wear

will take a couple later, have taken the blow lamp to the shaft and got it 98% straight! well a lot straighter than it was! now by sticking a couple of turns of pre load on the return spring the pop lock actually works :) it springs back and the lock out releases when I push the button
the lock out is now working a lot better as well :) I have to stick all my weight onto the steerer tube and really push down hard before they start to move now :)
the part I need is 10/12 in the part picture on this page
http://www.adventurenorthumberlandstore ... 4437-p.asp

I had a quick look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RockShox-Tora-S ... 7494558%26

Though im sure you could get an upgraded one for little extra. As long as you share the same stanchion size (32mm?) I reckon it should fit then you will have ot adjust the oil level to suit maybe.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back