Helmets Save Your Bonce

Chopper1192":10xknk5c said:
I ask once again - show us an example where a helmet manufacturer, their employees, or even their authorised lobbyists have stated that wearing a cycle helmet will prevent death or serious injury if a lorry drives over the wearers head.

I just did. If you're not smart to understand that in making a claim that 90% of cyclists deaths - as the Bell sponsored researchers (so certainly lobbyists) did - is impossible unless you include either protection against lorries over the head, then it's not my problem.

And again, the 90% claim require not only that foam hats prevent heads fronm squashed by lorries, but also that they prevent the fatal torso injuries that kill 50% of cyclists. Which is actually much, much more stupid. !

I mean seriously: how can you NOT understand this? How can anyone sanely claim that a helmet can provide a 90% reduction in deaths, when 50% come from torso injuries? Do you understand the difference between the head and the torso? Should I use different words???

highlandsflyer":37sqx2e0 said:
You could always commute from somewhere decent.

Yes, but it's not like it would make you any smarter, is it?

However: I do admire you for standing up for the rights of men who like "Mike" in Spaced to be as rude as they like without fear of retaliation. Especially when they are such big girl's blouses. Everyone should push themselves to their mental and moral limits, and making unfunny jokes that backfire for no good reason is probably quite a stretch for your abilities...

GrahamJohnWallace":phngfbst said:
In case any bicycle helmet designers or Australian politicians are reading this I will do my best to explain the physics of angular versus linear acceleration/deceleration for them.

I used to think that rotation was the key issue, but the sheer energy levels in serious collisions make it almost irrelevant. You just can't construct a helmet that will survive a 40mph hit from a car. And if you could, then it be physically impossible to provide sufficient deceleration room inside the helmet.

highlandsflyer":375o8isi said:
Your insistent reference to your own intelligence speaks of an inferiority complex.

I haven't done so once - I've merely pointed out on a single occasion that I am obviously brighter than you. Which is like saying that I am dryer than water. I'll also claim now to be wittier than you, but that's no great claim either. In fact, you are one of the most tediously unimaginative people I have encountered on the Internet - your idea of taunting would be derided as pathetic by an average six year old. You reek of smallness, the pathetic desire to suck up to a bigger fish even in such a useless context as an Internet forum on old bicycles, and the soap that old Belgian men use to clean their feet.

highlandsflyer":2vfsze37 said:
Does that massive intellect not stretch to spelling?

Oh, gosh - you spotted a typo! How guilty I now feel at calling you tedious and unwitty!

..You do understand that that was irony, and that what I am actually saying is that whining that someone else has made a spelling mistake when you have already been outed as Mr I Have No Imagination At All, No, None Whatsoever is probably the stupidest possible thing you can do? No? Well, just trust me on that one!

...Telling us about your collection of old bus timetables and how you spend time indexing them probably isn't a good idea either.

PurpleFrog":2j5u7c7y said:
highlandsflyer":2j5u7c7y said:
Your insistent reference to your own intelligence speaks of an inferiority complex.

I haven't done so once - I've merely pointed out on a single occasion that I am obviously brighter than you. Which is like saying that I am dryer than water. I'll also claim now to be wittier than you, but that's no great claim either. In fact, you are one of the most tediously unimaginative people I have encountered on the Internet - your idea of taunting would be derided as pathetic by an average six year old. You reek of smallness, the pathetic desire to suck up to a bigger fish even in such a useless context as an Internet forum on old bicycles, and the soap that old Belgian men use to clean their feet.

Under Gardners' theory of multiple intelligences, which particular intelligences are you laying claim to?

And what has your intelligence relative to that of others got to do with a this "Helmets Save Your Bonce" discussion?

Back