A retrobike epiphany

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I can't remember what thread it was on, but someone had commented that it's better to have one bike that you really appreciate than a bunch that you don't get that excited over.
It really struck a cord with me and got me thinking about what bikes I have, and which ones I really enjoy.
It's lead me to a decision to sell pretty much all of my retro bikes, and simply build up one bike exactly as I want it.
So, the clear-out has begun!
The bike I'm going to build will be a 1988 Overbury's Pioneer, exactly how I'd have specced it had I had the cash in 1988 :D

makster":14dlpdhc said:
I can't remember what thread it was on, but someone had commented that it's better to have one bike that you really appreciate than a bunch that you don't get that excited over.
It really struck a cord with me and got me thinking about what bikes I have, and which ones I really enjoy.
It's lead me to a decision to sell pretty much all of my retro bikes, and simply build up one bike exactly as I want it.
So, the clear-out has begun!
The bike I'm going to build will be a 1988 Overbury's Pioneer, exactly how I'd have specced it had I had the cash in 1988 :D

So what are on the get rid list?? Surely not the vit t?

100% agree.

When I got back into cycling, I thought about what I liked BITD. Bought an LTS; Nice. Then a Kona came up that I lusted after when I was 14, and I realise I didn't want to ride the LTS anymore.

Now, I'm only looking for bikes/bits that make me tingle (should get a cream for that) and are either very special to me, or have other less tangible qualities.

Its making me look at my lot and think about a cull!!! Can be a cleansing experience but in my opinion, like marriage, you will get the 1 bike that you love...build it and ride it...then hanker for another! :LOL:

Hmm, my Raleigh would be this bike, but I have had my butler since new and would never sell it, then I always wanted a muddy fox so that's my sorcerer, my Saracen was my dads for 20 years so its an heirloom and that only leaves the courier comp and that's not worth a lot and is a decent ride to boot. Looks like that idea doesn't work for me :)

Carl

The Vit is already in the for sale section Doug.
Next on the list is my 1990 Overburys Pioneer, and then it could be my 1986 Jamis too.
I want to get down to 3 bikes that I'll actually use.
I'll still have a modern hardtail, my rigid winter hack and then the 1988 Overbury's (when it's built!)

Back