urgent help - LH crank removal

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
ok, a bit embarassing to ask this question but it has been a while since I've had to deal with the old taper spindle BB.... :oops:

I'm trying to remove the LH crank arm and from memory this crank has a self-extracting bolt - there is an insert with 2 pin holes and this holds the bolt in place so when undone, it pulls the crank of the spindle - correct?

I do not need to remove the insert coz the bolt is v.hard to undo and I do not want to risk knackering anything - looks like Mr Fire is coming out to play ... :twisted:

Attachments

• DSC08508.JPG
    DSC08508.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 270
You've got the concept correct. As you extract the bolt, it's shoulder presses against the insert to force the arm off. But ..... If the reason you're having issues it that the arm is seized, then you should remove the ring so that the bolt can be removed independently. Then use a proper arm puller, so as to not risk damaging the crank bolt.

Personally, I'm not a fan of getting heat around any bike components that I intend to reuse.

cheers - figure i was doing it right, just was on really effing tight (i warmed up the crank a bit and off it came; also got the bb out, wasn;t easy either.

Back