Swiss type BB for Campy Square Tapered cranks

kbmpi

Retro Guru
Well, hello again..

I've encountered a challenge.. Frameset with swiss-type BB, and currently planning to build it up with older 10spd Square Tapered Campy cranks..

if anyone has any idea how to solve this, would be greatly appreciated.

cheers and thanks.

spindle length would be around 102-105 mm, as I'm intending to mount some 10 speed cranks made by campagnolo (remember! they've only introduced UltraTorque around 2006 or so, their earlier 10spd sets were made with trad. square tapered bttm brackets)

I'll consider threadless YST BB

Are you sure it's swiss and not french? they're both 35 x 1, but the only difference is that the swiss has a left hand threaded drive side cup (same direction as english BBs), and the french has a righthand threaded drive side (same direction as italian BBs)

:) Of course I know that the right hand side is threaded in the same direction as english, but with the "french thread count". (imho, it's better than when the drive side is right threaded.. once had an issue with that because of not pulling the outer UT cups with enough torque.. got it loose)

I've only found those threadless BB-s with quite lng spindles unfortunetely.

Also found chris king.. for chris king prices..

I've got Ultratorque on my Carbon/ alloy Basso..........all the rest of my bikes are from the 70's so a little out of my depth to help. Just out of curiosity what frame is it?

Good luck

Shaun

Again a bit out of my depth, but wouldn't campag cranks of that era have an assymetric axle of about 113mm for a 68mm shell? or am I living in the wrong decade LOL

Shaun

Info from a well known website............... Went Swiss in the mid 70's.

That's the French for you :)

Shaun

French bicycles before 1980 often used French-threaded bottom brackets (now difficult to find replacement parts for). French bottom brackets, like Italian ones, used right-hand threading on the fixed cups, making them subject to loosening by precession. Motobécane broke ranks with most other French manufacturers in the mid-70s, using Swiss-threaded bottom brackets (also difficult to find replacement parts for now). Swiss bottom brackets were identical to French, save that the fixed cups were reverse-threaded (like English ones), making them immune to loosening by precession. For more information, see bottom bracket specifications.

Back