1" Headset fixed cup removal tool

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Has anyone got one they don't need? Must be compatible with 1" headsets! My LBS ordered me one a while back that was specified 1" - 1_1/8" (I think it was an IceToolz one), but it wouldn't fit through a standard 1" headset cup :facepalm:

My homemade tools all end up bending out of shape before removing the cups :?

or if anyone could point me in the direction of a make and model that will definitely fit a standard 1" headset, then that would be great!

thanks!

Do you mean the tube device with 4 slits cut into it?

I would have thought they would have bent easier than a "drift" ?

Shaun

I have a 1 1/8 which works on 1 inch too (less well), but a long flat screwdriver that you don't care about and a mallet do the same job on a steel frame

Thanks everyone!

Shaun, yes I do mean the tube with one end split into 4 sections and splayed out!

Ugo, I know the screwdriver trick, but it doesn't work too well on longer headtubes with very stuck cups :?

Tel, the only flat bars I have are in use so I'm not about to chip them up!

I have run out of available household options - a metal curtain rail did the trick a few times, until I tried it on a very stuck cup. The latest effort was an aluminium shower curtain rail, which didn't even get one cup out before bending completely... I still have an aluminium broom handle I can try, but suspect it will go the same way as the shower rail :(

so unless I can find something else suitable around the house, then I'm looking at a "proper" one. maybe a cheap set of bars would be cheaper though :LOL:

I have always used a length of 22mm copper tube & a hammer and some "plus gas" (release agent)
Spray plus gas around the cup where in enters the headtube & leave for a few minutes.
Similar to the "screwdriver" method as mentioned above, make sure you work your way around the cup & not hit on one side.
It's never failed me yet!

I found a 2m length of 22mm diameter steel tubing, 1.6mm wall thickness, at a local DIY place this afternoon. unfortunately I was on the motorbike, and they don't have tools available for cutting stuff down to size, so it'll have to wait until I have the car though. at less than 4 quid for the full 2m, I reckon it works out at about 50p a tool, assuming I cut it to 25cm sections :LOL:

Will let you know how I get on!

Not to worry, I'm sorted now :D

I bought the steel tube yesterday and made a tool myself - it's not shop quality, but works much better than my previous efforts. and I've got plenty of tube left to make more, once that one dies on me :)

Back