1982 Moots Mountaineer

stanlee

BoTM Winner
I purchased this bike about 6 years ago off of eBay from the original owner in Steamboat Springs, CO. This is the oldest Moots I've seen and it's a big one so I was sold. The bike has some really cool details like the cranks being ground down for the oversized chainstays.

The purchase came with a painted to match "race" fork with dual dropouts so you can adjust the wheelbase (purchased in the mid/late 80's).

Added bonus, here is a Moots bash guard I purchased from the same seller

One of the coolest bikes on here. :cool:

Thanks for posting it - please enter into BOTM.

Wow, you have quite the collection :cool:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I've worked in bike shops as a mechanic off and on for more than 20 years and there is certainly something to be said about having high friends in low places. I've passed on a bunch of bikes because I couldn't afford them but I've been fortunate to find deals here and there.

Superb bike, lovely to see that. What's the finishing around the seatstays at the base of the cantilever bosses? Is it just chrome or are they some kind of bolt-on cantilever bosses?

Rich34":213osgby said:
What's the finishing around the seatstays at the base of the cantilever bosses? Is it just chrome or are they some kind of bolt-on cantilever bosses?

Thanks Rich! The chrome is the original shim and those are Moots Mounts which are basically bolt on bosses that Kent Eriksen ran on all of the early bikes (pre 90's). I've never ran a 29" wheel on this bike but it's kind of cool that it's an option considering the age. .

Attachments

• 383MootsMount.jpg
    383MootsMount.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,020
Thanks mate - what a SUPERB idea. As long as you have clearance you could put cantilevers on a 700C bike and fit wider tyres, or replace long sidepull calipers with cantilevers.

I wonder if any have survived, and if so, are there any on eBay? Might be busy for a few hours here...

Yeah, they do pop up on eBay every so often and they are a great idea. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a company making them these days, pretty simple design. I may have an extra set around, I teach overseas but I will check when I return home in a couple of weeks.

stanlee":2o3v1u0j said:
Yeah, they do pop up on eBay every so often and they are a great idea. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a company making them these days, pretty simple design. I may have an extra set around, I teach overseas but I will check when I return home in a couple of weeks.

I'd certainly be interested if you have a set. Can you PM me once you're home and if you have them?

Back