strava users?

Love it too .

I know it is not 100% accurate but it is fun .having loads of competitions with people on segments .
I cant go racing on a sunday due to familly commiments , my only time to ride, run is early in the morning or late in evening .

And it is great to log your rides and search for new trails, routes .

Charlieboy28":ks7vc46l said:
.....I have also clocked 28 mph on a section of canal locks, which cant be good....

This has amused me for today. :p
icon_salut.gif

NeilM":3de722qj said:
FluffyChicken":3de722qj said:
Would be great if the separated the different types of bikes though 'cross/road/mtb all lumped in to one is quite demoralising when you spit your lung out at teh top of a long hard road section and you have no idea if that was good for a full knobby bike as you're 256 out of 600 or so with times twice as quick as yours.

This is the bit I don't understand.

If you've ridden it as hard as you can, and someone else was quicker up there by 20 minutes, what difference does it make?

As an example, most fit roadies can do the Cheddar Gorge in around 20 to 22 minutes. The fastest time (last time I looked) was 18 minutes, logged by Dan Lloyd and I suspect that Jon Tiernan Lock has been up there quicker still.

Now it might be nice to see how I compare to Dan Lloyd, but given he was an Elite lever pro rider when he set that time, and that I am a 54 year old bloke who likes to ride bikes, I don't really see that there is any point.

When I used to race cars, the lap time I used to chase was the fastest set by a car in my class, rather than the overall fastest outright lap, which was usually set by an F1 car.

Each to their own really..
But that is also part of my point, I ride MTB, I have no idea who the two people you say are. Hence that need that extra split as they do know what bike you are on (assume you bother to change it, I do so I know how much I ride each bike)
But you can compare to 'friends', groups and other things like males and can lock it to a time period. You can narrow it down to age and weight if you want, you pay for that feature though.

Given it is generally free to use and adds a bit of fun, then why not.

Another aspect.
We have a new rider with us, he is riding for fun,social and to get a bit fitter. So far he's besting is best times and from the looks off the feed he is randomly going out over some of the routes to see if he can get better and as a side effect get fitter. If its helping him, it's got to be a good thing. He knows how fit we are, so has something to compare against and see he's not as crap and as unfit as he thought. He can ride with us even when we ate not there sort of thing.

What I don't get is ;
If you're lumbering up a long climb segment and stop to have a breather or two, is your KOM ranking including the breather time, or just the moving time?

I think segments do include resting time, which is why you should start segments after collecting points and before end points where people collect.

Cyclemeter. All about self improvement rather than competing. Nice maps, splits etc and you can save circuits of your own for comparison.

i use it, that said i haven't really taken the time to find out where the segments start and finish so when i get a good time on a section it was riding at the speed i was happy to ride at at the time.

that said, i did notice someones name on a particular segment so i did find out about that one then bin myself to beat him by a mile, he knowingly sold me a motorbike that had a cracked frame, luckily i noticed and took it back, he couldn't say no as we have too many mutual mates and they would have sided with me, especially after i found pictures of him at a wheelie school with the bike! so he's majorly on my shitlist, so i wanted to beat his time just to piss him off.

other than that i use it more for the mapping and curiosity of milage etc because it saves me having a computer on every bike.

jonnyboy666":15ccqpt5 said:
that said, i did notice someones name on a particular segment so i did find out about that one then bin myself to beat him by a mile, he knowingly sold me a motorbike that had a cracked frame, luckily i noticed and took it back, he couldn't say no as we have too many mutual mates and they would have sided with me, especially after i found pictures of him at a wheelie school with the bike! so he's majorly on my shitlist, so i wanted to beat his time just to piss him off.

If that's the plan just use a 250 crosser :LOL:

The History Man":1z8m6s1n said:
If that's the plan just use a 250 crosser :LOL:

didn't need a crosser, just absolutely floored it! strava listed his average speed, i just made sure mine was higher!

I use it, both as a gauge for myself against myself and just to see how... not competing but just to see how I compare to other people out there. When I recen;t moved states, there were no segments near where I lived, so made a few....and went straight to the bottom of the standings, since then I have improved on a lot of them, still down the bottom end, but I can see how I'm improving (both in my own results) but in the standings, maybe at some point I might think I'm fast enough to start doing group rides,.

But of course because zI like that sort of stuff, I use a garmin then upload to both strava, endomondo and garmin connect...so I can properly analyse my data thoroughly

Latest posts

Back