why did my knees hurt after 20 miles?

Certainly can, but if you need to hear how a messed up knee sounds I could record mine as climb a stepladder.

Probably the next thing I am going to get investigated, but as I am not a footballer any more or professional knee user I doubt they will bother with any meaningful tests.

sounds like it may be PFJS, dont listen too much to advice over the internets- go see a PT and if poss one that does bike fits. Worth paying money for if it means you can ride again and or not become more injured.

source: me- a physio

secret_squirrel":lo96px1x said:
2 things for knee issues - spd's with lots of float.

Or not using spds at all. I couldn't find spd shoes wide enough for my feet and now I wouldn't go back to them. If you want a connection to the bike you use Powergrips or similar straps, or make a pair yourself:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8qzt4K0tlI[/youtube]

JamesM":1syu9wd9 said:
I agree with the SS out the sadle thing. I climb out of the saddle almost all the time now whether on an SS or a geared bike.

Another +1, although generally I do less climbing on my SS bike. My knees hurt a little after a long ride on my geared XC bike, but a similar ride on my SS road/cross bike is fine. Weirdly I get less fatigued as well...

secret_squirrel":3vqflxfw said:
2 things for knee issues - spd's with lots of float.

Different types of exercise - sometimes the muscles around the knees can get overdeveloped in one area due to the amount of one single exercise you do - these overdeveloped ones then pull the joint out of shape. It's worth trying a gentle run on grass or a track or some leg exercises & stretches. Best advice is a physio who can identify if its muscular or joint/ligament related though.

Do see a PT if you have problems, but audition them carefully. The current state of the art - based on surfing pretty technical sports science articles after talking to a friend who had a leg muscle problem - says that stretching does not work for over-developed muscles. In fact, it's becoming increasing questionable whether it works for anything you should really care about:

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/ ... t-injuries

Instead an up to date physio will probably have you doing strength work on the opposing muscle to the one that's over-developed and some **dynamic flexibility** work on the over-developed muscle itself.

Back