If you were?

interval training is the best way of improving fitness. I have noticed a huge improvement since changing my gym routine.

also i concentrate more on weights than the traditionally accepted "cardio to burn fat" regime.

I still do cardio but its based on intervals, and i use a 32kg kettle bell for interval/weights mixed. that is the best workout i have ever had

that is the beauty of intervals, you can do it with any form of evercise

lewis1641":152v6psp said:
interval training is the best way of improving fitness. I have noticed a huge improvement since changing my gym routine.

also i concentrate more on weights than the traditionally accepted "cardio to burn fat" regime.

I still do cardio but its based on intervals, and i use a 32kg kettle bell for interval/weights mixed. that is the best workout i have ever had

Quite right, too.

All that truly matters, in terms of getting leaner, is balance of expenditure, really. And for those that want to retain LBM, rather than just achieve weight loss, you're much more likely to get leaner by expending more than you take in, and by encouraging your body to retain LBM / muscle, as opposed to some naive or outdated concept of where you perceive is a good way to fuel exercise.

I've said it countless times before, but often it falls on deaf ears, doing SS cardio is largely good for improving at SS cardio (until the improvements largely plateau, then it's just some expenditure) - that may well be a worthy goal - as may training at specific heart-rate zones - for other athletic, or sustainable reasons.

But those that prefer things like kettle bell workouts, or lifting weights, often underestimate the impacts on the cardiovascular system, and some are under the belief that only traditional cardio regimes really improve that.

For probably many, the most important thing (assuming a given of safety) is a regime they find challenging, yet sustainable - whether that be intervals, steady state, or some other kind of exercise routine that also impacts the cardiovascular system (eg kettle bell routines, boxing training, spin sessions, lifting weights...). Some people like moderate intensity, sustained, some people like intervals or higher intensity, but briefer workouts.

The History Man":152v6psp said:
I do interval training on the bike. They're called hills! :facepalm:

Indeed - it's rare, indeed, that there's much new under the sun...

Is there a crossfit place near you Alison? Have a look on Google - to be vague its a short sharp workout system that is great at getting you into shape quickly, kind of like circuit training.

rosstheboss":854adgj0 said:
Is there a crossfit place near you Alison? Have a look on Google - to be vague its a short sharp workout system that is great at getting you into shape quickly, kind of like circuit training.
And a great way for newbies to get injured.

Their rather novel approach to form needs either lots of attention to detail for newbies and careful control, or a good grounding in some key lifts and supporting musculature first.

Accept no short cuts or quick wins, achieving fitness isn't truly complex it just requires some effort and consistency rather than gimmick. And surely given where we're discussing this, most will have a reasonably close to home solution they could put to more use - ride your bike more - just little, yet incremental increase in frequency and distance would probably be the most natural step.

Neil":3b6z098b said:
rosstheboss":3b6z098b said:
And a great way for newbies to get injured.

Their rather novel approach to form needs either lots of attention to detail for newbies and careful control, or a good grounding in some key lifts and supporting musculature first.

Accept no short cuts or quick wins, achieving fitness isn't truly complex it just requires some effort and consistency rather than gimmick. And surely given where we're discussing this, most will have a reasonably close to home solution they could put to more use - ride your bike more - just little, yet incremental increase in frequency and distance would probably be the most natural step.

Was given similar advice when I started up 2 months ago. No quick fix but it works. Still comparatively shorts rides (max 18m road on mtb) but noticing improved fitness, weight loss and easier riding of late. Just stick with it. ' Use more than you put in ' has been my mantra.

Don't eat (much) 2 days a week, I've lost 3 stone, a far greater weight reduction than a set of Ti bolts and lighter wheels is ever going to achieve. It saves money too as I effectively only eat 3 weeks a month. :D

Today is a fast day and I managed a 15 mile ride this morning without any trouble.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

xerxes":e86x1hk6 said:
Don't eat (much) 2 days a week, I've lost 3 stone, a far greater weight reduction than a set of Ti bolts and lighter wheels is ever going to achieve. It saves money too as I effectively only eat 3 weeks a month. :D
]
I'm 6 meals a day at the moment while I'm training for a lifting event in Kent at the en of the month. Normally I'm around 250ish but I've put on 11lbs in May, though I'd also packed 2 inches more on my back.

The real serious guys, the WSM boys and Olympic lifters etc can spend £100,000 a year on food and nutrition.

Chopper1192":1kg29k28 said:
xerxes":1kg29k28 said:
]
I'm 6 meals a day at the moment while I'm training for a lifting event in Kent at the en of the month. Normally I'm around 250ish but I've put on 11lbs in May, though I'd also packed 2 inches more on my back.

The real serious guys, the WSM boys and Olympic lifters etc can spend £100,000 a year on food and nutrition.

And other, um, stuff.

Back