I've only gone and brought an unknown bike :rolleyes:

Bit of a conundrum this one I think cyclo-cross frame too with fully covered gear cables to stop mud ingress, but then a split rear brake cable surely you would have opted for a full cover on that too :? Maybe it was a converted road to cross frame :?: Looks lovely though nice find :D :D

Thanks for all the input fella's :)

Regarding the rear brake cable; the guides are actually for it to be covered ad not exposed as it is currently set up as. I was slightly confused as to why the guides were all open rather than steps to naked cable, crossbike would explain that. Can't find and classic pictures showing X-bikes with centre pulls though....

Keep changing my mind with this build, so many options. I am steering towards an audax style bike, no mudguards (obviously) 28c tyres, large saddle bag, etc. (Just noticed, no bottle cage bosses). Component wise can't decide on mixture of old and sympathetic new or all old....

One of the first things I need to decide upon though is the colour. Never easy!!

torqueless":1nbtp3hu said:
Is that part of the original (red) finish peeping out on the fork crown just under the headset? Chances are it could all still be under there- transfers and all. Are you up for Hammerite removal at the pace of an archeological dig?

I like the fork crown, complementing those plain-as-a-pikestaff prugnats. This frame is bitterly complaining: "WTF happened to my Mafacs?" (or Universals)

Yup I'll give it a little rub before it's blasted in hope of revealing something....

Know what you mean about the lugs; functional. It will have centre pulls again one day :)

Thanks for the pictures David. The guy at the back in the top picture has centre pulls too. Thinking it very likely is a X-Bike now although the cable guides do not appear to be big enough for a cable to slip through, possibly more intended for step down ferrules than a whole cable?

Rear tyre as fitted in picture is 28c which considering it is right forward in the dropouts theres still loads of clearance. I wonder what size tyre I can get in the front though???

Just saw this, a class frame. The bars stem chainset and HB controls are about 1960, the frame 1970, the 70 in the frame number could be the year. The cyclo cross idea makes sense. When in 1979 we ordered our 2 Moser team bikes with handlebar controls they thought they were for cross.
I would expect the TA criterium ring to loosen if ridden fixed.

Latest posts

Back