The pleasure of just tinkering!

On a serious note, I suffer off and on with depression. At its worst I was going through some short lived but incredibly intense manic periods.

Anyhow, I still flirt with depression now and again and Woman is very supportive. She understands that my shed is my space, my retreat of peace, solitude and oily smells, and she insists I try and spend a bit of time out there each day, even if it's just 15 minutes. It's good for the soul.

It's true, I spend far more time fettling/tinkering/titivating than I ever used to.
I needed to replace a brake cable the other day, ended up replacing ALL the cables, inner & outer :facepalm: And all just because I could, and enjoyed it. You can't beat the feeling of a job well done :D

Chopper1192":9wr1eou3 said:
On a serious note, I suffer off and on with depression. At its worst I was going through some short lived but incredibly intense manic periods.

Anyhow, I still flirt with depression now and again and Woman is very supportive. She understands that my shed is my space, my retreat of peace, solitude and oily smells, and she insists I try and spend a bit of time out there each day, even if it's just 15 minutes. It's good for the soul.

Funny enough it was a serious bout of hospitalised depression which lasted a few years that made it impossible for me to do anything, walk, move, look after myself or do anything with bikes, I just didn't care, the children lost all my tools and I'm having to rebuild them. I have yet to gain back the passion I had for tinkering that I had before, but it's coming back slowly. I have often wondered how some people with depression can find something that helps like tinkering or exercising, but I think having time by yourself with a hobby is essential for a more peaceful mind.

Sorry to get morbid :oops:

Alison

The History Man":3d14tbg8 said:
Shall we start a shed thread? Pics etc?

Good plan, I love a good shed :D love admiring what people have in their's, really a voyeur at heart.

Alison

Back