Ever had anything thrown at you whilst cycling?

NeilM":3mjmgrwv said:
What they really mean is; 'you shouldn't be riding that thing on MY road'.

That was EXACTLY what he meant... :roll:

He was probably just jealous - I was on my then-new Orange Clockwork at the time. I think he was in a Sierra.

Rich34":3jnp6npn said:
I think he was in a Sierra.

Yup, that alone is enough to ruin someone's day.

I had one as a company car for 70,000 miles. It looked like an upturned jelly mould, handled like the contents of a jelly mould and had the most uncomfortable seats I have ever endured.

NeilM":v07f4wcy said:
Sorry to go slightly off topic, but this one REALLY rags me; people who do not know and who break the Highway Code rules, telling me to obey them... and incidentally ALWAYS getting it wrong.
I have one for you mate!! Got into an argument with a prat in a Pug' at some traffic rights who had come right into the ASL
and his bumper was touching my rear mech' Turned around to the prat and asked him what the hell you doing coming into the ASL
he then shouted back that this is where a car can stop! I tried to educate the prat but he wouldn't listen and then he started
to shout at me that I should be in the cycle lane at all times! I shouted back 'what cycle lane'...

He replied...'The two yellow lines and you are supposed to have my wheels in-between them'

Told the prat to pull over after the lights as I want a word with him over the laws of the road, git' couldn't get away fast enough.

NeilM":2dq8dc7r said:
I get this more on horses than on the bike, because 99% of the time I am on my own on my bike, but the shout is usually the same "you should be riding single file". I can never actually figure this one out, as if you are riding (horse or bike) two abreast, then you are effectively a shorter, but wider road user. However, if you ride single file, then you are half as wide, but twice as long, and as Rule 162 states that a driver must give us the same amount of room as they would a car (and to be fair, most do), then in single file we are more difficult to overtake, as the driver need more distance.

1'st I'm not trying to start anything :D

I spend a lot of my day on the roads and we have a lot of horse and cycle traffic in my area, so I'm always aware of impending equine obstacles and am quite happy to give way and wait for a safe ( for both of us) time to overtake. i do agree with what you state above , but quite often i encounter riders side by side who don't take into account that side by side doesn't always allow a safe overtake distance that single file would allow. yes the short wide grouping does get it over with quicker when the road allows, but sometimes the riders can be very unaware of their own safe riding.

gavinda":33yp3xfq said:
sometimes the riders can be very unaware of their own safe riding.

I couldn't agree more, there is almost nothing as ignorant as horse riders who do not appear to be aware of the traffic around them.

I think they they must also drive large shiny 4 x 4's or people carriers when not horse riding.... but that's another subject.

Like you I also drive a lot with my work, around 35,000 miles a year, and unless the road is narrow, when single file for bike and horse is preferable, I really can't see how single file is any different to side by side. Let me put it another way, what's easier to overtake, a slow moving car or a tractor towing a small machine.

For what it's worth, when we get traffic behind us, we tend to ride the horses single file, as it cuts out a lot of the verbal abuse, but I still think it's as broad as it's long... literally.

gavinda":2lixgxsc said:
Wide road, side by side
Narrow road, single file or light a smoke, put it second and chill

Pretty much exactly what the Highway Code says...... well apart from lighting a smoke :mrgreen:

Not strictly thrown, but I've been hit by stray shotgun pellets!
They came through a hedge, so were highly attenuated, so not really painful, but surprising nonetheless. :shock:

Also, had a blackbird fly straight into front wheel of a motorbike I was riding - poor thing.

NeilM":1waa3l7b said:
For what it's worth, when we get traffic behind us, we tend to ride the horses single file, as it cuts out a lot of the verbal abuse, but I still think it's as broad as it's long... literally.
Do you ever have cyclists front & rear of the horses ??

I tend to see this around the Nottinghamshire quite back lanes and these cyclists will not move over to let cyclists through even when you say 'excuse me',
but its another story for car drivers who want to pass by.

Back