Simplex 'Y' shifters

They're basic, but very effective shifters those Altus jobs. But they ratchet and return to their original position, whereas the one in the OP are described as being like inverted thumbies, which would move round to a new position with each gear.

Alivio shifters of around 96-97 also have a Y shaped trigger, but like the Altus they return to their original position with each shift.

There is the nice, non racheting A050:

42336.jpg

admittedly the shifter is rotated through 90 degrees to the simplex, but still nasty

On the other end of the scale is the new Box lever:

p4pb9475649.jpg

not a true wishbone but bloody nice looking!

Interesting comments people, thanks. I understand the suntour under-bar indexed shifters are rated my many on this site.

Seems like shimano missed a trick. I seem to remember a revolt against 'push-push' STI and ever since the thumbie has been king. But under-bar levers are so much easier to access!

I quite like old STI but I've a feeling it doesn't wear too well so people who try it these days complain of it feeling stiff and awkward.

Best shifters I've used were shimano 8-spd with thumb push to pull lever, and index finger trigger to release cable. Probably 98ish vintage - deore?

I know people say the big advantage of thumbies is the ability to shift right across the cassette quickly, but there's never been an occasion where I've needed this while riding. Probably going too slow!

grogee":38f38i55 said:
I know people say the big advantage of thumbies is the ability to shift right across the cassette quickly, but there's never been an occasion where I've needed this while riding. Probably going too slow!

I think you will find that 90% of the reason why thumbies are so highly lauded on here is because of nothing more than the nostalgia of middle aged men, harking back to their teenage years.... when everything was new/sunny/fast/exciting etc etc :LOL:

My M950 Rapidfire STi's shift from high to low on the cassette in a bout half a second..... faster than I can wrap my thumb over the top of the bar and crank the thumbie round!

G

Back