Basso Loto - With a modern twist!

Dave_Mars

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've long been a fan of the artistry and the craftmanship of well-made lugged frames - but I've never been in love with goofy quill stems, downtube shifters or garish paintschemes.

I spotted a nice Basso Loto for sale in my size a few months back and fell in love with the seat-stay arrangement and the sheer elegance of the thing.

file.php

The paint was a lovely cherry red, and looked to be in top condition... But yeah .. Paint is just paint to me and I wanted something a little more unique / modern. A trip to the powdercoaters later, and the frame came back in an awesome textured copper/brown.

C703BA46-66EE-4622-8530-36C1206B076D-1859-000001AB99E5500E_zps87bcea9f.jpg

72B727D7-4E53-4E9C-81C4-89D12620DE04-1859-000001ABA08C8DBF_zpsdc3184f0.jpg

The finish is a special kind of paint from armourtex called 'phosphorous' .. but it definitely doesn't glow in the dark! Often a Powder coat is too thick and will soften the lugs - looking horrid.. But in this case the lugs and pantographing are lovely and sharp.

Next up - a conversion to ahead - and some straight blade forks... Plus a KELLY stem I had knocking around painted to match.. Using a 110mm ZERO degree stem allowed me to get the 'slammed' look without adding 2" of spacers with a negative rise stem

Finishing kit is not-too-modern looking - so NITTO S65 seatpost, Concor Saddle, Silver Centaur / Athena Mix... with athena shifters and skeleton calipers... A compact bar from Soma and some de-stickered DT swiss Wheels (with the groovy star ratchet hub). The rear mech is 105 running on a 9-speed hub - which works perfectly with the 11sp athena shifters! (shimergo)

7FEADD2E-6C4C-4EF7-86BC-6819DBECDC85-9264-00000847BDB25DAA_zps578c13e1.jpg

B99CC4B4-A51C-430E-821F-FF32D851F1E4-9264-00000847AFD14126_zpsdfd4ca1c.jpg

I'm very happy with the final product, it rides like a dream and weighs a not-too-bad 9.8kg - with a steel fork and steel stem. I could go lighter quite easily but it'd be far less classy with a carbon fork / seat post or skinny modern saddle.

The bike is used to cycle my 20 mile daily commute and it's sturdy construction, steel fork and 25c tyres shrug off the worst of London's potholes! The 9 speed drivetrain is harder wearing and cheaper to maintain than a 10 or 11 speed set-up - so makes sense for commuting.

(Apologies for the MTB pedals - a lot of stopping and starting at traffic lights neccessitates them :p )

I am not really sure what to think of this.

I agree with you that the frame is very nice and that the fastback seat stays on Basso frames looks pretty sweet. I also like the concept of giving old frames a new paint job. IMHO the best way to do this is with a single color without decals.

The only thing I don´t like though is the kind of paint you choose. The paint job is definitely top notch and I like the color, just not really feeling the textured stuff...

Cool bike nonetheless!

Back