Windows Software License Question?

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
So, my old laptop has an XP Pro license tag with key. Does this mean i can install anyones copy of the software and use my key to make it licensed for my use?

Yes, in theory you can... as long as it's a OEM disc I guess. If your laptop (like mine and most Dell, HP, Acer etc etc) has a sticker attached to it, that means it's got a OEM license.

AFAIK, you won't be able to use your key on a Retail, OVL or MSDN version of the XP disc. You need to have a OEM version or it will keep asking for a valid product key...

Hope it helps,

Void(EN12-82)

Void(EN12-82)":1848kxyj said:
AFAIK, you won't be able to use your key on a Retail, OVL or MSDN version of the XP disc. You need to have a OEM version or it will keep asking for a valid product key...

Yep that's correct...also if you receive a copy of Windows pre-loaded on your PC, you can not legally transfer the license to another PC as its solely licensed to that piece of hardware.

Tallpaul":2a61vk9g said:
Are Dell obliged to provide a hard copy?

Technically they are, if you specifically request it, but only if you are the original owner of the computer. Most companies get around this by installing a copy onto another partition on the main hard disc. The problem with this is if your hard disc fails you lose the installation software.

The other thing to remember is that OEM versions of Windows can only be activated a limited number of times whereas after market versions have no such limitations. They are also tied to the specific hardware they are activated on. This means if you change the computer you have to have a new copy of Windows.

Tallpaul":21n3fyue said:
Hmmmmm, anyone know where i can get an OEM Dell XP Pro disc? :LOL:

I could make you an ISO off mine and you can download it then?? I have all English software anyway, so guess I could provide you with it. It's from my Inspiron 8200 or Latitude d600, both have English XP Pro.

Just lemme know and I'll PM you where you can download the ISO if you need it...

Void(EN12-82)

Back