Help Identifying Carbon GT Model & Year STS / LTS ?

WildRide

Retro Newbie
Hey everyOne,

I recently got this bike, and as you can see, there isn't much in the way of decalage left. I'm also looking for a replacement bolt; you'll see I marked one of the photos. The components are XTR, though I don't know if stock, fork is Rock Shox Judy SL, rear suspension being a Rock Shox Super Deluxe.

Thanks for your help!

Its a 1997 onward STS or STS-DS. Bolt should be common to all the aluminium and thermoplastic LTS bikes from '98 on.

Serial number on bottom bracket should give a year.

It's a 1998 STS 1000 DS.

Here's mine:

IMAG0233_zps389a9527.jpg

Lovely bike, and a great spec too. You might be able to get a replacement bolt from HERE

Or, check this thread. It's got all the information you could possibly need, including some more links where you can buy parts.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88951

PS. If you ever want to sell it, let me know!

I've got a few spare bits for the rear shock too including springs of various strengths, and both rebound and compression dials. I've also got 2 complete Super Deluxe shocks, but they both could do with an overhaul. Let me know if you need anything :D

Another good person to speak to on this forum is ba57ards - He has got lots of spares for the LTS/STS frames too, so he might well have the bolt you're looking for.

Regarding identifying the year from the serial number:

Look underneath the bottom bracket and you will see a long number on one side, and a 2 digit number on the other side.

My serial number is 019812251 18

The first four digits are the month and year of manufacture - 0198 = January 1998

The last 2 digits are the frame size - 18 = 18 inch.

So this tells me that I have a 1998 frame, 18 inch.

Hope this helps :D

Edit: I think that the rear end on mine may have been replaced with a later one at some point, as it has a disc mount which I don't believe the 98 model had (yours doesn't appear to have it).

Barney has suddenly become a mine of information in the last 3 weeks ;)

And you have the front tyre is on the wrong way round.

lol knew that i would come into the picture at some stage

that bolt is mega hard to find so unfortunatly ur have to send the whole bike to me jus so i can keep it in safe hands

:facepalm:

on a serious note i should have a couple of the bolts kickin about in a spares box

Barneyballbags

ur welcome to buy my sts 1000ds as ive got one up for sale and its got a disc rear end too

Thanks for the help everyone. Upon some gentle rubbing, the serial emerged from beneath a thin spot of dirt.
Indeed a 98, and 18". I thought the fork was stock, but I guess not. I don't know if I'm going to be selling it anytime in the next year,
though I might be interested in trading it for a 16". And I'm in southern California. The only other parts I'm looking for at the moment, besides the bolt, are
non-specific: seatpost and a new chain. Thanks! :D

Hi buddy, I don't find any serial number on my STS BB, only the size engraved "19.5".
Could the serial number be engraved elsewhere ?

Back