Plastic Sheds! Any good?

highlandsflyer":2h0hfvl9 said:
Plastic are terrible. There is a huge difference between a poorly made wooden shed and a half decent one. The latter will last many years with relatively little maintenance.

Wood is generally the least expensive option as well.

Mum & Dad used to have a plastic-panelled shed. Dunno if the materials used are any better these days, but the old stuff was a bit susceptible to sunlight and tended to turn brittle; we found this out the hard way with our shed after the cat (who was a bit tubby) fell through the roof - unharmed, thankfully!

David

I am not pretending to be an expert on the most modern ones. There are some very well made ones no doubt, I am just wary of the low price ones that are still more expensive than building a mid range wooden one.

I guess I just love wood and that sometimes causes me to miss out.

highlandsflyer":mre80dew said:
I am not pretending to be an expert on the most modern ones. There are some very well made ones no doubt, I am just wary of the low price ones that are still more expensive than building a mid range wooden one.

I guess I just love wood and that sometimes causes me to miss out.
I have one that is, I guess, kind of like a very big double wardrobe size.

I bought it, really for the odd garden tools and chairs / loungers, and nothing that I'm truly worried about being nicked (as it doesn't have anything really in the way of security) - and even if you put a padlock on, a hacksaw would go through the plastic bits in short order.

Now I think about it, I've had it longer than I'd have thought, just thinking about it off the cuff, since when I moved house a good few years back, I brought it with me (since it was very easy to be able to transport it (just take it apart).

I like that I never have to worry about things like it leaking. And as to it going brittle or not being robust, well it's sort of served as a launching pad from a step ladder to the garage roof, in recent times, when I was painting the flat garage roof - and it seemed pretty robust to stand on it's roof.

But then it's not really as big as a "proper" shed, but serves it's purpose for what I use it for.

That underlines my prejudice, probably baseless then.

After all I have spent years enjoying plastic kayaks, guitars and all sorts.

I even built a shed from plastic sheeting, albeit with a proper wood frame!

I have a very large wooden shed and although the shed has stood the test of time the felt roof gets blown off every six months, it's crap and frustrating we soon had to bring everything into the house, the shed is now a very expensive ornament in the garden serving no purpose whatsoever

Alison

We have these kind of troubles a lot in the North, given our massive wind. ;)

Stand off some planks protecting the lips where wind can get to the edges.

I worked for shire sheds for a week...they supply most diy stores..I can whole heartedly not reccomend them :D

Well I went against everyone's advice and bought a Keter one!

Checked one out built-up first and it seemed OK, bought one today and built it, piece of piss to erect, built it tight and straight and it seems good!

Will let you know how she fairs in the wind, rain, snow etc...

The main reason for me choosing plastic in the end is that its pretty temporary and thus easy to dismantle and sell when needed.

I have one of those plastic shed storage bins, lift up lid jobs. I could get a mower and a few gardening tools in it etc. But the only stuff I put in it is the recycling. Utterly useless. It's been very windy here the last few days and the felt has gone of the neighbors shed but my plastic thing well every time there's a slight breeze it disassembles it's self and panels fly around the garden, I have to rebuild it on average once a month. :(

My parents have a 40year old wooden shed, on it's 3rd lot of felt but it's still strong and functional. Would never by a plastic shed again

Back