XT V brake setup problem

DougieF

Dirt Disciple
Hi

Just got a set of NOS XT Vbrakes. 1999 models and I am having problems setting them up. Basically on the side that the cable bolt is on, when the pad touches the rim, there is not enough tension on the spring. I have set up with small spacer on the pad to try and help, but even with tension adjuster at maximum, there is not enough tension? I have tried on another frame / wheel combo and have the same problem??

Any advice much appreciated.

bending a spring - easier said than done - by virture of it being a spring, it will spring back to shape when bent.

the v-brake mounts usually have 3 small holes for the spring to locate - each hole gives a different amount of tension - so presumably you have tried the one that gives the most tension, assuming your frame has the 3 holes.

you can see the 3 holes here:
2617.jpg

02gf74":3m4x3cji said:
bending a spring - easier said than done - by virture of it being a spring, it will spring back to shape when bent.

No it wont ;)
02gf74":3m4x3cji said:
the v-brake mounts usually have 3 small holes for the spring to locate - each hole gives a different amount of tension - so presumably you have tried the one that gives the most tension, assuming your frame has the 3 holes.

you can see the 3 holes here:
2617.jpg

As above on the 3 holes thing (sounds like some sort of secret code :shock:
Most put the pin in the middle hole so if yours are still touching then try the top hole.
The spring is just a steel bar(basically) and you can bend it slightly.

Back