67 mph in a 30 zone, nearly kill someone and ten months?

The speed limits are fine just the use of them needs to be changed I cycled past a village school the other day and it was in a national speed limit area, crazy.

Also I am firmly against a black box, I drive carefully and sensibly but everyone I guarantee has made an honest mistake before, such as missing that 40 sign and you carry on doing 50 for an extra 500yards before you see the next 40 sign. etc A black box would have you booked for that, but it did no-one no harm and next time you'll probably notice it. All the bad/illegal drivers would just unplug them as well so all it would do is penalise normal motorists.

spike3":3p3abcs3 said:
The speed limits are fine just the use of them needs to be changed I cycled past a village school the other day and it was in a national speed limit area, crazy.

Also I am firmly against a black box, I drive carefully and sensibly but everyone I guarantee has made an honest mistake before, such as missing that 40 sign and you carry on doing 50 for an extra 500yards before you see the next 40 sign. etc A black box would have you booked for that, but it did no-one no harm and next time you'll probably notice it. All the bad/illegal drivers would just unplug them as well so all it would do is penalise normal motorists.

Just like the CCTV operators have some discretion, the black box would not automatically mean sanctions for every minor indiscretion.

Besides, your GPS gear can currently warn you of when you are approaching a limit. What real excuse would there be to enter a 30 at 40 when you have a heads up from your car?

I don't agree current limits are fine.

20 would make much more sense for the vast majority of built up areas, and we all know that would mean an effective 25.

Repeat:

Has anyone actually taken action for safer roads on these threads or do we all just have a rant and then be at the mercy of divvy drivers on the roads?

scottmac":1fk4py7i said:
Repeat:

Has anyone actually taken action for safer roads on these threads or do we all just have a rant and then be at the mercy of divvy drivers on the roads?

well where i live they have laid loads of speed bumps, doesn't stop some drivers going over 30.
if i reported speeding drivers i'd be on the phone all day.
police need evidence of speeding, that is what speed camera's are for.
i would love the police to do more about this type of crime.

I'm another one who thinks speed limits are fine as long as you stick to them. I do think sentencing is poor and that death by dangerous driving should be seen in the same light as any manslaughter case. I'd hate any of my children to be killed and see the killer get 6 months suspended and a few points on his licence.

My husband was done for speeding once, he'd come off a roundabout and accelerated, almost straight away he saw the 30 sign and as he went passed he was doing 35 and was clocked by a police car hidden in the shadows, what is ironic he is always saying to me what the speed limit is, even if my indicator is only 1 mile/hour out.

Alison

changing speed limits without changing the attitude will not work, if people speed in a 30, they are hardly likely to obey 20, speed bumps don't work, had one outside the flat in Camden when there, all you heard all day was people driving over too fast, particularly the lorries / white vans where always in a hurry.............

generally there is a poor attitude to the rules of the road where a lot of people thing the rules are unimportant, speeding, indicating, tailgating, tinted windows, illegal number plates, non of it vigorously enforced, but then a trip to London shows there are a significant number of cyclists with a similar attitude, red lights, pavements etc. What should a cyclist get who hits a pedestrian while cycling on pavement or through a red light ?

i think peoples attitudes really need to change.
speed limits don't stop people from speeding.
its the same as mobile phone usage behind the wheel.
the fact there is a fine involved doesn't stop people taking the risk.
i hate seeing mobile phones used while people driving.

I think extended use of 20mph and even 10mph zones is a way forward, with traffic calming measures, backed up with cameras.

We have to do something. It would certainly result in less serious casualties thanks to a reduction in average vehicle speed.

Back