1996 Marin Indian Fire Trail (slow burner)

Spudly":3rn4wapw said:
Trebz":3rn4wapw said:
Dude, you need a shed.

Sod that, all of my bikes always have, and always will live in the house, theyre ten times safer in the house, doors and locks are stronger and the house is obviously alarmed!

Ive got a work stand that i use either in the kitchen or outside if the weather ever turns nice lol

Not done anything more regarding stripping and polishing the frame, but ive scored some xt thumbshifters for it, to go with the nos 737 canti's, so although im not actually doing much progress wise, im collecting bits for it :cool:

Get on with it!! ;)

PopsTrippin":1jnp5534 said:
I used paint stripper on mine bud and wiped it off with a sponge. Dead easy and left no scratches which made it easier to polish. Then sprayed it over with silicone spray to keep water marks off it. However these can scratch easy so would advise putting a proper clear coat on it when time arrives, but be careful which one you choose as some will lift the decals.

Look forward to seeing this progress.

I have one I'm also about to start.
What paint stripper did you use please?

theres a lad in our work who has an indian fire trail.he doesnt know what he has,but he just wont let me have it!full of xt n stuff :( ,but missing the white industries crank,so not all bad :LOL:

vinnya77":2s1fl0ao said:
Look forward to seeing this progress.

I have one I'm also about to start.
What paint stripper did you use please?

Got me a can of the old nitromors from the 90's too :) I've heard the modern stuff isn't as good but it's only lacquer you're removing so you shouldn't have any problems.

For the love of Jesus don't sand it as you'll destroy the shot-peened finish and make the frame more prone to cracking, which is something definitely best avoided on an ageing alloy frame. Painstripper, Autosol and a phenomenal amount.of patience is.required.

Chopper1192":3tms9rrj said:
For the love of Jesus don't sand it as you'll destroy the shot-peened finish and make the frame more prone to cracking, which is something definitely best avoided on an ageing alloy frame. Painstripper, Autosol and a phenomenal amount.of patience is.required.

Advice like that is valued greatly, thankyou very muchly!

Like i said in the title this is a slow burner for now, im collecting parts for it then im going to crack on and get it stripped polished and built as quickly as i can!

Back