Retro full sus...what would you get??

wookiee":25ulrhtz said:
hmmm interesting...but pricey??

Cheaper than you'd think. A quick look at completed listings on eBay has a frame that went for £94, another at £62 (!), a complete (albeit 1999, but they didn't change much) bike for £205. They're not that sought after. But they're great :)

The original LTS really was a great design. Perfect for all day rides in our area. Nice and Comfy.

My old one:
DSC01512.jpg

Others... Specialized FSR, Amp (too flexi for a clydesdale), San Andreas, Early Turners.

Also some of the old URT designs (Orange X1, Giant Box, Trek Y).

Some cheap Klein Mantras around if you fancy something different?

Here are a few that have passed through my hands in the last couple years-a couple of the big ones stayed.

1996 Intense Uzzi SL:

T2eC16Z0E9s37HkTGBQRPzHvTZw60_57-2.jpg

1995 KHS FXT Team

IMG_0859.jpg

1994 Stumpjumper FSR

T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQYUBQTSuBig60_57.jpg

1996 Univega Dual Action Team

IMG_0582.jpg

Nishiki FS-2 (1994?)

IMG_2303.jpg

Ted Wojcik Soft-Trac FS 1996-97

IMG_1048.jpg

1996 Santa Cruz Heckler:

IMG_1616.jpg

GT LTS-2 (1995?)

IMG_6917.jpg

GT LRTS and LTS's, I mean they both won world DH championships, and then other people just rode them all day long everywhere else, what more do you want...:)

LTS and Specialized FSRs are far and away the class of the pre-97 bikes.
Pedal quite well, don't do weird things under power or braking (well LTSs do jack up a bit under brakes), reliable particularly if Fox sprung rather than Rockshox, and not prone to breaking like some others (LTS-DH chainstays being an exception to that).

As to weight, my 7005 Taiwan LTS-2 with a SX-Ti fork and M737/M900 mix is bang on 26lb built up, not heavy considering it is running Maguras and Rhynolite rims with steel bead Dusters; an American built 6061 early LTS Team with an Alps shock rather than rockshox coil, built with a Judy SL Ti or Mag 21 SL, M900 and light rims and tyres would have to be high 23-low 24lb range.

I would not buy any URT or high pivot bike personally (apart from maybe Foes and Mountain Cycle).

GT LTS (plain jane XC ones) Specialized FSR & Santacruz Tazmon (though the Heckler is easier to find)

Owned all 3 and still Have a 94 FSR all superb XC all rounders with sorted suspension

Proflex's 856 can be sorted if you fit noleen or risse shock units or even the spring modification which replaces the elastomers. Agreed with elastomers fitted the Full-suss element is pretty vacant. But nice bikes and i love mine :D

Or my fave current ride at the mo, the infamous 'Marmite' bike the Orange X1, this is my ride for Mountain Mayhem this year and i am looking forward to it. Rides nice, climbs great and a little different :D

Just another option to consider :D

Attachments

• DSCF3426.JPG
    DSCF3426.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 373
  • X1%202.jpg
    X1%202.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 373
Back