Going Vegan

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I am used to eating vegan, I've been doing it with the missus for long enough.

There is so much animal free food available, even a lot of "normal" foods are vegan - like Hob-Nobs and Oreos :D

As for why, it's a conscience thing. I don't want to lecture people, I just no longer feel comfortable eating something when I know I couldn't kill and prepare it myself and although as a farmer's son I know that farmed animals can be well looked after and humanely dealt with things like industrial milk production are far from humane.

In reply to ajm, "What nutrition comes from meat that is impossible to source elsewhere?" There is none and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that plant sources are far better for the human body than animal. As for being unhealthy, there are plenty of vegan sportsmen and woman including body builders(!)

Yes, being Vegan is the secret to a healthy life. Just ask Michael Clarke Duncan!

Seriously though, while I'm an amateur strength athlete and eat a phenomenal amount of meat (mainly white meat), I respect your wishes so go for it and good luck. Just don't be like a friend of mine who also went vegan because his conscience wasn't happy eating animals, yet he's happy to eat quorn bacon and sausages that look and taste like animals, which seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Any soya milk, including supermarket own-brands, is fine in tea, but for some reason most of them will curdle in coffee (Alpro doesn't, but costs a lot more). I find they work perfectly well when cooking, too.
Don't bother even trying 'pretend' cheese. Seriously.

Edit: Also, once you've cut out dairy products, there's a fair chance you won't be able to go back to them. After a diet full of cheese and milk, I stopped for around 4 months, and now a few spoonfuls of milk will start me projectile vomiting.

Koupe":3lxq7f8d said:
Any soya milk, including supermarket own-brands, is fine in tea, but for some reason most of them will curdle in coffee (Alpro doesn't, but costs a lot more). I find they work perfectly well when cooking, too.
Don't bother even trying 'pretend' cheese. Seriously.

Edit: Also, once you've cut out dairy products, there's a fair chance you won't be able to go back to them. After a diet full of cheese and milk, I stopped for around 4 months, and now a few spoonfuls of milk will start me projectile vomiting.

I find soya milk curdles in tea too :( almond milk is good though.
I actually quite like Cheezly, it's no mature cheddar but has a good taste of it's own. Engivita is great for a cheesy taste too ;)

Chopper1192":1m4mvt81 said:
yet he's happy to eat quorn bacon and sausages that look and taste like animals, which seems a bit hypocritical to me.

I can't see how that's hypocritical - if his beef (sorry!) with eating meat is that it involves killing animals, how is it hypocritical to eat foods which taste similar but don't involve bloodshed?

That aside, there are very few animals that look like sausages :)

ajm":gdhgy3p1 said:
Chopper1192":gdhgy3p1 said:
yet he's happy to eat quorn bacon and sausages that look and taste like animals, which seems a bit hypocritical to me.

I can't see how that's hypocritical - if his beef (sorry!) with eating meat is that it involves killing animals, how is it hypocritical to eat foods which taste similar but don't involve bloodshed?

I can't see how enjoying simulated dead flesh is morally any superior to enjoying real dead flesh. If the concept is so appalling, why enjoy a synthetic version of the concept?

Anyhoo, what about vegetable rights?

The History Man":10ntk3pp said:
:evil: Two words that should never be seen together - vegetarian sausage.

I have no problem with veggies but they should make up new names not pretend things are something they're not such as SAUSAGES :evil:

Just read the ingredients on a packet of Linda McCartney's veggie sossies. There was even hydrogenated veg oil on there until not too long ago.

Wicken Fen and Cauldron are good though!

ajm":2oduioqs said:
Chopper1192":2oduioqs said:

You want hypocrisy? "Vegetarians" that eat fish. How long does it take for a kipper to die in the hold of a trawler? Bet it ain't nice and quick, or painfree...
Gimmee LGF with his bolt gun any day!

Latest posts

Back