Removing and Replacing Riveted Headbadge

I doubt if there is sufficient space between the inside of the head tube and the outside of the steerer to clear a pop rivet. Spokesman's copper (or alloy) rivet peened over on the inside in some way is the best bet.

"insert a small length of 1" metal tubing in the head tube until it rests on the upper rivet and tap gently......you'll find the rivets pop undone this way quite easily"

Old Ned":3myp0498 said:
I doubt if there is sufficient space between the inside of the head tube and the outside of the steerer to clear a pop rivet. Spokesman's copper (or alloy) rivet peened over on the inside in some way is the best bet.

.......have done this method successfully many times, maybe I should have clarified that after removing the locknut and upper bearing race you simply just drop the forks out first to allow access to rivets

Thanks everyone, it's off now. Used Excel's tube and hammer approach for the top rivet, but had to use Midlife's file technique for the lower one because there wasn't enough metal on the inside of the rivet for the hammer technique to work.

Was a pretty nerve-wracking experience, was afraid the wafer thin bit of brass at the end of the badge would not hold up,
but I was very careful and got away with it. Its from a bike from 1928 so it's not like I could replace the badge with a new one if something went wrong.

Will probbaly use RobbieD's tip when it comes to replace the badge.

Thanks for the tips.

Johnny

Back