Claud Butler c 1962....Finished

Re: Claud Butler c 1962....

Hi, can't be of much help to you i am afraid. I just took it to my LBS, who is very old school, and was given a new set of bearings, and races. Nothing on the box to indicate the size. Cost £5.10, so not really high end either, but i know it will be fine.

Dave

Re:

Piperdave":33uhskk1 said:
Just need to deal with the rusty springs now :roll: The devil IS in the detail :LOL:

I'm going to be watching your progress I'm hoping to start a 1953 Claud Butler Jubilee rebuild soon :)

Have you ever tried Oxalic Acid for your rust removal? Get a small dish, make up a mix and soak for 12-24 hours :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500g-Oxalic-a ... 20b219307d

Cheap as chips and lasts for ages.

Carry on the great work :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally got it back from the powdercoaters today. The colour is a little lighter than i had hoped. It just goes to show how things differ from small colour swabs on a chart to the real thing. But, i think it is OK. The finish, and masking leaves a bit to be desired :? They din't mask off the bearing race land on the forks, so i will have to "see" to that.

I have tried a little gold lining but it is far more difficult that i thought, so i might just add some gold details, and leave the lugs unlined.

At least i can start to put it together now.....

Headtube_zpsfc24282f.jpg

Piperdave":lu217ss7 said:
I have tried a little gold lining but it is far more difficult that i thought, so i might just add some gold details, and leave the lugs unlined.

Have you tried a ruling pen?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Artists-Rulin ... 257a9b25b8

The trick of the trade for uniform lines with good paint coverage. Gold is one of the most difficult because of the particles in the paint, the best gold I've found is Rustoleum in an aerosol. Spray some into a cup then use it with the ruling pen :)

If you want to go crazy you can lug line with gold size then apply gold leaf and lacquer :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blasted cold weather keeping me out of the batcave :x

Still, i have managed a few things in the kitchen. The LBS thought that the head bearings would be OK as caged units, but they were wrong. Needed to go back and get loose balls (Fna fna) before the head bearings felt right. The races were put into the fridge for half an hour, and then fitted, without to much hassle or beating, just dropped in really.

Tyres are Mitchlin World Tour, from evilbay.

The mudguards stand a little proud, but i think they look OK. Thank to RBer SantaHul for a good deal on these.

Pics of the brakes, Weinmann 730 side pull, with quick release cams. Never seen another pair like these.

Front

Brakeapril_zps02957433.jpg

Rear

Brakeapril2_zps9daab9f6.jpg

Next jobs....handlebar tape, and collect a medium chain wheel from a fellow RBer in Hove tonight, then we can fit the drive train. The original was 46t pressed to the pedal arm. I bought a similar one from evlbay, bt it is so poor i won't fit it. A fellow RBer (thanks Rich 34) gifted me a Nervar crankset 42/52, but they have an odd BCD. I am only fitting a single chain wheel, and 42 is too small, 52 is too big. Hurin76 is supplying a 49t which i hope will be a good compramise.

Just need some advice on laquering the decals now, and some sun.........

Dave

Looking good. Those Weinmann QR's were relatively common. I had a pair of 500's with them BITD. In fact, I think I've still got some parts for one in my 'bits' box.

So, i nice sunny day, and here she is finished......

Before, just to remind you all what we started with......

P7110134.jpg

Now it looks like this.....

Finished1_zpsa7f5e75a.jpg

finished2_zps57e6e400.jpg

Detail1_zps017ae9a9.jpg

detail2_zps7ea33dfb.jpg

Its been a long and interesting journey.....

Dave

Back