Wouldn't it be cool if...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
...there was a way of watching or bookmarking stuff you see in the for sale section, in a sort of Ebay kinda way...I've lost count of the times I am needing a part and think "I'm sure I saw so and so selling something like that". Or I have had a few beers whilst browsing the for sale section and thought about buying something, decided to sleep on it, then not been able to find it again! Also it would help you compare different sellers who are selling the same item... I'm sure this is probably too much of a ball ache for the forum...but just thinking it would be cool if it was a feature.

What d'ya recon?

Doug

I kind of agree, but think what is needed is the ability to refine the search feature. So you can search a word, then, by user, or section, or date period.

Eg

Zaskar
MTB For Sale
31/3/13-1/4/13

Pyro Tim":2pq59d8x said:
I kind of agree, but think what is needed is the ability to refine the search feature. So you can search a word, then, by user, or section, or date period.

Eg

Zaskar
MTB For Sale
31/3/13-1/4/13

Yeah the search feature is a bit frustrating at times for example if you are wanting to search for M900 STI it will bring up all STI references as well as all M900, so perhaps "exact phrase" would be handy...

it also for some reason brings up on the 1st page 3 or 4 year old posts, which are obviously now sold, and you can't find the thing you saw a few days ago, even though you've put the right word in

Pyro Tim":25adtrcs said:
it also for some reason brings up on the 1st page 3 or 4 year old posts, which are obviously now sold, and you can't find the thing you saw a few days ago, even though you've put the right word in

True it does do that...but I have been lucky a couple of times with a "I'm sure you don't still have it but..." PM! :D

I also want to add that I know it must be hard work to run and maintain the forum, and it's brilliant. This is just a little niggle that I feel could be done better. I will also admit to not having the fainest idea how to do it

Yes bookmarking works fine.
Not as good as watching an item on ebay, but as long as you
don't bookmark every for sale post it works fine.
It surprising how hard it can be to find something using a search,
even when you can remember a phase from the ad.

I find the search box normally does the trick for me as long as I can remember something a bit unique or different about the for sale thread - like such and such a fork with xyz frame. Once you get a combo like that its much easier.

The other trick is to use the site google search - sometimes it comes up trumps better than the phpbb search.

Very occasionally I have resorted to google itself using the site: modifier.

Eg "site:www.retrobike.co.uk unicornbitstupidlycheap"

Back