Another P*SSED OFF Halfords customer

My halfords has been hit and miss, first saturday boy took days to do half days jobs and even then i refused to take it out of the shop as it was not safe, the person who corrected it within the same store I would use again

At the age of forty-something I was briefly unemployed for the first time in my life last year, for 2 months.

Upon eventually accepting I had to claim benefit (and therein lies another very long story) I was asked what my skills were and I explained I was a cycle mechanic, among other things. Every time I signed on there were jobs brought to my attention in various branches of Halfords Bike Hut and every time I explained I was a cycle mechanic, not a car accessories advisor. The point seemed lost on them.

Eventually they explained I had to take anything I was offered or lose my benefit, so I put them right on a few points relating to the stupidity of the whole fr*gging system in this country, told them where they could shove their benefit and went back to being self employed. And the moral of this story is....I can't quite remember now....

Halfords are not cycle mechanics. Even a bad local cycle shop is better than a good Halfords, and good Halfords don't exist. But then you know that now so I'll shut up :LOL:

As LikeClockwork says... Halfords is not a bike shop. Halfords is a shop that sells bikes. Boardman are starting to realise this and are not letting their elite range anywhere near Halfords - they've finally worked out that entrusting a three grand carbon fibre bike to a 17-year-old with a hammer and an adjustable wrench is not such a good idea!

However, I don't say this to say "I told you so", Danone - a good LBS will be able to sort out your wheel. It's unlikely to have been too badly damaged if it was just built up badly, a complete un-tension and re-true should sort it out. However, bear in mind that not all rim inconsistencies or wobbles are visible to the naked eye when looking at the rim alone. You can lay the rim down on something flat and get a good idea of how laterally true it is (how much it's bent from side to side) but unless it's significantly wonky it's hard to check whether it's radially true (not round). That said, if it was a completely new rim, there should have been nothing wrong with it...

LikeClockwork":34s93fo0 said:

I love the fact that there could be 'cycle mechanics' all over the country who moan about the fact that Halfords has a low skill base, but are unwilling to work there themselves to do something about it, even when they have no other job.

Russell":1d6195hp said:
LikeClockwork":1d6195hp said:

I love the fact that there could be 'cycle mechanics' all over the country who moan about the fact that Halfords has a low skill base, but are unwilling to work there themselves to do something about it, even when they have no other job.

Perhaps 'cycle mechanics' all over the country would rather do what I did and get up off their fat lazy arses and go get themselves another job, anywhere, than work in a job that involved wearing a base ball cap back to front and spouting a load of crap from their Cyctec manual whilst actually having no real hands on experience....??

Where I work is... nothing to do with this thread.

I largely choose not to divulge personal info on internet forums as then I can't get pissed off when random stangers offer their opinions.

Classic...but you're quite happy to offer YOUR random opinion and piss off others...

I'm going now never to return as I don't want to divert this thread away from the original topic, and I've offered my opinion on that, for what it is worth. As a fully trained cycle mechanic. That's as opposed to a 'cycle mechanic'....

Welcome to the internet, that's how it works. If you don't want random strangers offering their opinions on your life, don't put your info out there for comment/discussion.

FWIW, I'm an engineer, but 'Robmac' knows that already as he went to the trouble of looking at my profile to see what I did for a living the last time he took issue with something I wrote. I think he likes me.

Anyway... Halfords have a skills issue there's no denying that, but 'fully trained cycle mechanics' (Cytec level what exactly?) like yourself don't want to work there. Why not?

Its clearly a recruitment issue as they can't attract 'fully trained' staff like you so what is it that's stopping people like you working there? What do Halfords have to do to attract people like you?

Back