HELP restoring Rocky Mountain

Mikado as a brand/company had been around since the 1970s in the province of quebec, and were in fact one of the first canadian brands to offer a mountain bike model (see my mikado restoration project listed in the mtb sales forum). By the end of their run under Procycle ownership they were largely being used to market really nice steel frame commuter hybrid and touring frame models. Essentially the Sherpa, RC, Metropolis and Whistler model lines under RMB have filled the role Mikado used to have.

Miele was a lower end brand under Procycle ownership but originally they were a mid-level domestic canadian brand, I don't remember the exact origin but there were a lot of "italian" sounding name brands in canada in the 1980s and early 90s, many of whom essentially died when the interest in road bikes died off with the explosion of interest in mountain bikes.

Oryx was a brand created by Procycle before they bought Rocky Mountain and was meant to be their flagship brand. They were one of the first brands to give production 29ers a try (their RAID model), had a custom paint program option for buyers of their road bike models, had various full suspension designs some clones of other better known models made for them by mega-brands (Giant supplied them with several) and for a couple years they had a rather interesting 6-bar linkage design, but in the end, they were spending as much money on the Oryx brand, which they ONLY sold domestically as on the Rocky Brand (which sold domestically and internationally) and so they killed Oryx.

Of course they (procycle) routinely whined to the federal government about how overseas production used exclusively by "foreign" brands was hurting domestic manufacturer bike sales, so we ended up with various extra "anti-dumping" import duties applied to many brands products that were largely only enacted to drive up the retail price points of other brands rather than Procycle doing anything internal to make themselves more competitive. Raleigh Canada and one or two other brands embraced the procycle led movement (that procycle was in quebec, and quebec MPs enjoy excessive perks at the federal level for pet projects and pet laws to keep quebecers happy lest they talk about seperating again...personally I say force them to seperate and stop trying to blackmail the rest of canada) even though it was going to penalize all the other canadian brands that HAD adapted to the changing world like Rocky Mountain, and Norco and so on....

I just moved to Canada and picked up an oryx on kijiji.

I had never heated of the brand but the bike looks great and the components were decent.

Re:

DeeEight":q4jqkv56 said:
In the process the Balfa, Oryx and Mikado brands were all terminated abruptly with almost zero notice to their dealers. I worked at the largest procycle brands dealer in eastern ontario at the time, and still remember the day the VP of Procycle came into the store on a dealer-sales tour around quebec/ontario, and just said Balfa, Oryx and Mikado were being eliminated, and we're not sure if you'll get to carry Rocky because we have too many rocky dealers in ottawa already. That was about a week before the canadian dealers bike show in montreal.

The Oryx & Balfa race teams were essentially dead at that moment, though some racers were bumped over to the Rocky team (marie-helene premont for example). But it also left a lot of dealers scrambling to find alternative brands to carry for the following season.

My ol' Balfa Minuteman was the best all-purpose hardtail a man (or woman) could ask for... and the BB7 was easily one of the 2 or 3 fastest DH bikes I ever rode. I miss that company. :cry:

Attachments

• Pete_Berm_cropped.jpg
    Pete_Berm_cropped.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 92
Back