steel frames

I'm currently evaluating a Genesis Altitude in 853 variety (20 & 30 are the same frame), did the Temple Newsan ride on it but it wasn't really varied enough to get a proper taste so will hopefully be out this weekend and over Easter to give it a good varied run , initial impressions are good and it was about £100 >£150 less than a cotic Soul frame (2nd hand!), I'm using all the bits off my M5 Stumpy so the running gear is like for like in effect apart from I've removed the spacer from the forks to take them up to 100mm (Altitude frame asks for 100 >120 afaiaw). It's not got the bling factor of the Cotic but it seems to do the job for a lot less buck (Bit like Skoda and Audi , you pay a lot more for the 4 circle badge!, I've had both so can give an opinion). So far for a £130 853 frame I'm happy , the next few weeks will tell. I'm mainly XC btw.
Matthew

jonnyboy666":dtpk870s said:
2007 orange clockwork, only 200 were made though but they do pop up on ebay from time to time, the frames go second hand for about £200

xc based frame, designed for 100mm fork.

i have had mine since brand new in 2007 and love it so much i used the geometry for my Demon Frameworks build

One here:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=248203

When I first saw a Charge Duster it looked brilliant, they brought out the super skinny one too, the Prestige one, worth a look. There's the Charge blender that's the one to avoid as its a short jump bike. With Cotic apparently travel around 120+ is the sweet spot, though I'm running a fixed 150 which is actually needed on some of the trails I've been chasing buddies on but I've alone seen souls and impels on rigids so a decent 100 may work in an XC stylee! My mates just got an on one 456, feels alright really though its a smaller frame and a lot lighter build but good value. have you put pipedream on your list? Seems there's a load of good steeliness out there. Also orange P7 worth a look tho probs hold their money and kinesis decade versa. Oh and EDIT I'm a Genesis owner and fan. loads of stuff in reader rides 98 > and also in searches on here. Have a look n let us know how ya get on. :)

Russell":3j6rkp7c said:
Cotic do make nice bikes but you pay a premium for the brand when you consider that they (the early ones at least) were made in the same factory in the Far East as On-One... its amazing the difference a change in decals makes to buyers perception.

Mindmap3":3j6rkp7c said:
Aren't the Cotics at least part 853 (main tubes) whereas the On One are a standard steel?

It's no different to a lot of other frames though...my understanding is that most of the mass produced bikes only come out of a handful of factories.

Russell":3j6rkp7c said:
1st gen inbreds were 853.

Mindmap3":3j6rkp7c said:
I didn't realise that they were. It's a difficult one to justify the increase then.

There is a bit more of a difference than just the decals though isn't there. Just because the tubes are made from the same material and built in the same factory doesn't make them the same. If I designed an 853 steel frame and got Chris Dekerf to weld it together for me, would you buy it for the same amount as one of his Team SSTs? Of course not, because my frame would be sh*t :LOL:

/\

I personally chose my Bfe, as I'd been looking for ages, and if I was lashing money on a new frame, I wanted to get it right, by that I mean buy what I wanted, effectively my Bfe was twice as much as a OO456, I loved the design features, well thought out features, the clean and almost retro lines, the wishbone rear, the colour, Cotic seem to care more about their brand too. It all adds up. equally i could have saved money and gone for an NS Surge but Cotic ticked so many boxes for me. I'm still less keen on OO Inbred design and reputation of aftersales/worth of product/geometry/ride/paint, though my mates 456 rode nice on my very brief ride, I'd consider them specially for a SS roadie Pompino or something.

Early OO Inbreds were apparently 853 but too expensive to produce when cheaper 'almost as good' chromos were available. So thats a tad historical now interesting if it was the same factory. Also outsourcing factories often make different brands like Primark and M&S and DKNY say garments side by side in the same factory whats different is what they are instructed to do. Theres still design and project managements and brand mission quality<>value. I'm not dissing On One by the way, I shop with them now and then, I love the way their prices are transparent and put reasonable, good (once niche) producs on offer at an easily affordable and reasonable price. They spoted a gap in the market and went for it! Good one em. :cool:

What i'd need to consider is if I went for a Solaris 29er frame at nearly £500, would a £149 One One be wiser... ??? depends on budget I guess

Scarfacexxx08":lm1tlf3h said:
only to do gentle xc rides along the south downs, anything too extreme and I'd use my stumpy.

I do like the look of Cotic's, but will 100mm be enough travel?

Gentle XC? More than enough.

I was going to offer up my surplus-to-requirements 19in Dialled Bikes Prince Albert, but someone's already offered one of those for less money than I was going to ask, so I'll not ;)

xerxes":24p0quqi said:

I've got an older (circa 2000) one of these and love it.
Picked mine up as a complete build a few years ago, and re-built it recently as a winter 1x9..... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=224716&hilit=lobster

I'd vote for a Pace RC104, really enjoying the one I put together last year. Disc brakes and option to run gears or singlespeed. I think they are a bit pricey new, but they look lovely and second hand can be a right bargain

biggins":2c97svdr said:
I'd vote for a Pace RC104, really enjoying the one I put together last year. Disc brakes and option to run gears or singlespeed. I think they are a bit pricey new, but they look lovely and second hand can be a right bargain

But if you can show me someone selling a frame for £200 or less I'll show you someone needing their head read! :LOL:

Back