What do you do when being chased by a dog?

widowmaker":b7lvms4y said:
I dont fear dogs myself, i DO though fear what they could do to one of my children who rides with me or any other children for that matter.

The last bite i got from a dog would have made a real mess of a childs face/hands etc :x

I was lucky the dog bit my Sir Chris Hoy sized thighs :D

Exactly! I was attacked by an English Bull Terrier when I was 10. It had been wandering round the park when it walked under the swings which we were on. My mate unavoidably kicked it and the sod turned on me, fortunately I only suffered a destroyed coat and a bite on the arm, which was covering my face at the time. The owner who was in his garden, backed onto the park, finally came over when my mates started shouting. No apology, but again it was not the dogs fault, I didn't want to report it as I knew what would happen to the dog.

a few pretty pathetic macho bullshit comments on here, i've never had problem with dogs I used to carry pepper spray but never needed to used it, its better on steak anyway. one thing that does baffle me is why some owners walk on the bike path when theres a huge park avalible. and those stupid extendable leads

Macho bullpois is pretty handy when a dog is breakfasting on one of your limbs - high principles count for nothing. I was attacked quite nastily by a collie when I was a teenager and still have the scars up my arm to remind me, so at best I'm not keen on dogs and wouldn't hesitate to return fire against any dog that went for me again. That ain't macho bullpois, it's something I'd do reluctantly and out of fear and necessity.

T' is true, its not the dogs fault, but who's fault it may be is an utter irrelevance when they're sinking their teeth into you.

question is why was a collie attacking you? collies are instinctively protective as they sheep dogs. id be surprised if it went out of its way to bite you for no reason

probably one of them Precognition type dogs then :) incidentally ive known dogs that would just get pissed off if you shot them with 7.62 millimetre, full metal Blumells

As a teenager who lived out in the sticks and rode bikes across Hereford and Shropshire, one of the things I got to know was where the dogs were -which farms and which lanes I could roll past and see no more than a friendly wag of the tail and the places it paid to be aware - because of the territorial instincts that manifest aggressive behaviour in that particular dog coupled with a complete lack of discipline held over it by the owner..
Yes, I could get off my bike and try to befriend each one on my terms in an effort to negate the antisocial and dangerous behaviour, but I am actually going from A to B on a public right of way! I expect to do this without obstruction or threat to me or others who are with me..
I have lived with dogs and worked with dogs and am quite able to put 99% of dogs in it's place and bond with it, by soothing it or by dominating it, as situation requires.

Specifically, As far as farm dogs are concerned, the question I ask is this: What action would a farmer take if he saw a dog on his land that was worrying his livestock?

If he can't be arsed to keep his anti social dog off the road/path and I consider it to be a threat to me or others, it's going to get an Mt.Zefal across it's snout. Big Deal.

A guy come to my door last night saying my dog had just chased him down the street on his bike !!

I told him to F**k OFF, my dog doesn't have a bike.

Back