Colnago when its not a Colnago?

Just to add, i am building a Van Tuyl at the moment and the helical reinforcements (thanks Torqueless) in the forks are clearly visible from below - using a torch.

Definitely Harry Hall forks and very like a Harry Hall frame. Interestingly, if there is no frame number thats another indicator, there are lots of Harry Hall's out there with no frame numbers. The shop in Madchester is the original business, although its moved a few times. Unfortunately, I've heard a few tales that they don't provide much help regarding the heritage of their older bikes.

Just a thought regards the Colubus tubing. SLX had the helical reinforcments at the ends of the tubes and TSX had the reinforcement for the full length of the tubes. The TSX 'rifleing' was smaller with a greater number of ridges from memory.
Will try to dig out the specs later tonight.
I think its a nice find if a Harry Hall or a Columbus tubed frame. It looks well made regardless.
Jamie

Well not much to report as ive been working on another bike this weekend. I took the seatpost out and had a look down the tube. To be honest i could only just, just make out some faint rifling in the seat tube, but i wasnt able to get a picture. I did however check out the columbus sticker which had some black spray on top of it in several areas. I peeled the seat tube colnago sticker away and though it pulled a lot of the perished paint off it appears that the previous owner had sprayed a section black, masking it at one end but not the other allowing some overspray on top of the tubing sticker and its original lacquer. Will post some more images soon.

Ok so heres a couple of the photos of the paint and the paint over the columbus sticker. Again no picture of the rifling but this weekend ill have a better look at it and check out whats hidden in the bottom bracket.

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 490
  • big paint.jpg
    big paint.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 490
Sorry for the long time away from this post. Been busy with less interesting bike projects!

I think ive seen the riffling within the steerer tube and seat tube etc. Only got a picture of the steerer tube though. Hard to take photos of them!

Ive since stripped the frame with paint-stripper and elbow grease. The frame is very very bright and shiny under the paint. I guess this is the alloy in the steel? Almost looks a bit porous or shot blasted.

My next question is a bit of a two parter and id love to hear peoples opinions.

1st of all, what colour would/could/should i paint it? I have little preference other metallic's, pearlescent's or solid colour's. Im not fussed if its something bright or dark.

2nd, what kinda groupset would be good on this build? I have an almost complete Shimano 600 tricolour set and most of a Campagnole Triumphe set. I am intending on riding this bike a lot and have previously been loving the Shimano Tricolour group.

Any updates or suggestions would be great! :D

Attachments

• steerer tube.jpg
    steerer tube.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 294
  • harry hall frame stripped.jpg
    harry hall frame stripped.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 294
I've got an early Harry Hall and the forks are stamped like that. Later HH forks don't seem to have the stamp. Mine was Shimano 600 groupset with Cinelli bars and stem. You could specify the type of frame you wanted for a HH build so probably genuine Columbus. It'l be a quality bike if HH. Just had mine resprayed.
8640212445_a573e254ae_z.jpg

Looooks Gert LUSH!!!! :D Did your frame have chrome rear triangle? Im tempted to get the 600 Tricolour group-set on it as i like the colour and the aesthetic, but i dont know if i now want a bright colour or perhaps a kinda graphite grey to compliment the Tricolour theme... Are you planning to build your HH soon?

No chrome triangle. I will be rebuilding once I've sold a couple of my other bikes but probably not traditional as I want to use it as my main bike. This is how it was before stripdown. I'd already modernised it.
8188039151_17a6f1edaa_c.jpg

Back