If you had?

If any of you want to be able to play a musical instrument, what's stopping you. All it takes is time and commitment.

I think for the majority of people it's not talent that's required it's just hard work. For the select few, an inherent musical gift makes them stand above everyone else, but in the genre of pop, rock, indie etc. for the most part, the standard of playing is attainable.

Stu

I was almost 'adequate' on the piano as a lad (big sister was a grade 8 teacher) but haven't played properly for years now. Although weirdly, it seems my hands still remember what to do as I can bash out scales as rapidly as I ever could, without actually thinking.
I've been 'learning' guitar for years as well. I get to the point where my left fingertips have just about stopped hurting and started to form callouses, then I lose interest and have to start all over again after a few months.

A lot of muscle memory is involved.

If you stop playing any instrument for a while it takes time to regain fluidity.

Try setting a guitar up with a low action and light strings, and grab that when you have been away from it for a while. Or tune down a bit/use a capo to lower the action.

Takes me a couple of hours a day for at least a week to toughen my fingers up.

Koupe":1rwpbt6b said:
I was almost 'adequate' on the piano as a lad (big sister was a grade 8 teacher) but haven't played properly for years now. Although weirdly, it seems my hands still remember what to do as I can bash out scales as rapidly as I ever could, without actually thinking.
I got into the high grades on piano, too, in my late teens.

Like you, haven't played properly in a while, I have my piano from my youth, but rarely get the time. Things aren't as fluid when I first sit down, but a week or so, can see me doing a lot better.

Clarinet - beautiful piece of engineering :D

I have two and can play neither, but they're fekkin gorgeous to look at :twisted:

Back