does it really pay to work ?

Isaac_AG":1vpkeio3 said:
B77":1vpkeio3 said:
Isaac_AG":1vpkeio3 said:
I must say being a full time house wife is as tedious and depressing as being on the dole.

Alison
That statement begs the question, why did you have kids then ?

Because I love having children and before they went to school it was great bringing them up, having them around enjoying life and the pleasure you get from children is beyond words, and it's great when they are on holiday, they make everything worth while. The bit that is depressing is when they are at school being on your own in the middle of nowhere with nothing but the four walls and the vacuum for company.

Alison

Fair enough, why not do soething with the time ypu spend alone ? If you have time to spare ? If not and you have to slog all day with the washing etc, well, tough luck that's what it's all about,why not discuss with your husband changing roles and you be the breadwinner ?

Without wishing to pry or poke, you do seem to be very unhappy Alison.

Edit: Twain, why should you have to make money everywhere ? What's wrong with improving your mind or taking a course in something you are interested in and not for financial gain ?

B77":3hjw5fnu said:
Isaac_AG":3hjw5fnu said:
I must say being a full time house wife is as tedious and depressing as being on the dole.

Alison
That statement begs the question, why did you have kids then ? Christ all these people bleating about being a parent and having to stay in with a child when it's the tv that ends up doing the parenting anyway :roll: why have kids if being a parent is such a chore ?
I suspect many, didn't really realise all the ins and outs of parenthood, before having children, and even whilst, in the early years. And for some, it perhaps has evolved to a situation that they hadn't truly envisaged.

Realistically, that's like saying "Why did you do anything, that not consulting, believing and having the maturity to accept somebody with more experience, telling you what it would be like, should have told you there's bits you wouldn't like..."

Just because somebody actively chose to do something, doesn't mean they knew about all the downsides, or even if they did, didn't think that the positives would outweigh them.

Isaac_AG":1rtj40aa said:
The bit that is depressing is when they are at school being on your own in the middle of nowhere with nothing but the four walls and the vacuum for company.

Alison

Being truly "in the middle of nowhere" when you have children is never a good idea anyway - apart from anything else you end up having to run them here, there and everywhere instead of them being able to walk, cycle or get the bus.
We bought the house that we still live in when the kids were 8 and 10, so about 20 years ago. The idea was that although we're in a small village we're also on a bus route, so they could get to school and back and quite a few of their friend lived in the same village anyway. There's a park where they could play to their hearts content, we never worried about them for one minute.
Then, once they got cars at 16, they were really independent .

Anyway - part time work while they're at school? Gardening, cleaning - there always seem to be people who want or need this sort of stuff doing.

*Edit* - and do what I do when you have a spare hour or two and you're feeling fed up and pissed off with the world. Get on your bike and ride - good for the body, good for the mind and especially for the soul.

Andy R":2rb1jxcd said:
Isaac_AG":2rb1jxcd said:
The bit that is depressing is when they are at school being on your own in the middle of nowhere with nothing but the four walls and the vacuum for company.

Alison

Being truly "in the middle of nowhere" when you have children is never a good idea anyway - apart from anything else you end up having to run them here, there and everywhere instead of them being able to walk, cycle or get the bus.
We bought the house that we still live in when the kids were 8 and 10, so about 20 years ago. The idea was that although we're in a small village we're also on a bus route, so they could get to school and back and quite a few of their friend lived in the same village anyway. There's a park where they could play to their hearts content, we never worried about them for one minute.
Then, once they got cars at 16, they were really independent .

Anyway - part time work while they're at school? Gardening, cleaning - there always seem to be people who want or need this sort of stuff doing.

They do go to school by bus, there's no service bus but because we live so far from the school the local authority pick them up, although we do have to pay for my oldest daughter as she does not attend the given secondary school for the catchment area, it's still the local authority taxi but we pay them. Yes we do have to ferry them about from place to place but that was the price we were willing to pay not to be part of a big estate.

Alison

Isaac_AG":3tcafctt said:
Alison
Sounds like you need to get out and ride your bike more.

N/B":1lxhj6zb said:
Isaac_AG":1lxhj6zb said:
Alison
You need to get out and ride your bike more. Seriously.

Dead right :!:

Alison

B77":1z5i2lpf said:
Edit: Twain, why should you have to make money everywhere ? What's wrong with improving your mind or taking a course in something you are interested in and not for financial gain ?

you don't have to make money everywhere, nothing wrong with improving your mind or taking a course in something you are interested in.
but if you want financial gain (which i presume isn't entirely off her list of wants), its just a thought.

plus, she could probably combine those 2 very ideas....

UmpOi.gif

:D

Getting back to the OP, IMO it is better to work. I know 40 yr old blokes that have never worked. Well cash in hand jobs so they can pick up their dole.

However none of them have had a nice 2 week holiday abroad, or drive/own a car or wear nice clothes.
They can be seen in the bookies or pub most days though. Those who are unwilling to work should be forced to or lose their benefits. But I suppose they would start shoplifting/mugging OAP's if the government ever did. Oh and there are too many do-gooders nowadays spouting human rights to be able to stop their scavenging ways.

YES it pays to work, and despite what you hear, there is loads of work out there. Did Richard Branson get where he was to day by thinking I will see what the state will provide.

Latest posts

Back