Headset threads specifications.

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
A british, or 1" headset on a british threaded fork is called a "Class A" fit. An Italian headset, or 25.4 on a british fork is called a "Class B" fit. Although 1" and 25.4 are essentially the same thing, the angle of the cut of the thread is slightly different.

Therefore, you can use a 25.4 italian threaded headset on a 1" british threaded fork and vice versa but the fit will be tight but usable. Just make sure that all threads are in clean and in very good condition and the headset is well adjusted.

So they can be interchanged but better to get the right one.

Can you tell by visual inspection of the steerer threads?

Montello":dhpwbfpf said:
So they can be interchanged but better to get the right one.

Can you tell by visual inspection of the steerer threads?

Just make sure the fork threads are clean and sharp - best to run a tap down but if you don't have one then clean the thread with a wire brush. If you've got slightly flattened threads on the steerer then you may have issues but if that was the case, you would have problems with any headset.

I've got an italian super record alloy headset on a set of british Raleigh forks and its fine.

There is a 5 degree differenece between the angle of the thread pitch between Italian and BSA threads hense that is why they are interchangable.

Blimey, that's a relief. I just got a Tange Falcon for my early 90's Raleigh. Hope it's going to be ok!

Back